SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Upgrading my computer and need advice before I buy one.

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kimthesim
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 1343 times

kimthesim

I'm heading off to school and I need a new desktop computer that will run all of my programs and have a TON of memory. I'm a photographer and so I have to have a lot of memory to store all of my pictures (they're all in RAW format...) and music, and also a processor that will run programs like Adobe PS Lightroom and Photoshop CS4 very well. Also, I would love to play games, so a good graphics card would be a plus. I'm looking at some re certified desktops on Newegg.com; are re certified computers still reliable? As you can tell, I have a lot of questions, so any help would be appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

kimthesim, hello. What kind of budget do you have? You could probably build your own custom PC to suit your needs without too much of an outlay.

Posted 4 years ago

kimthesim

Around $450-$500. Am I being too cheap? I'm seeing a lot of computers for that price with the memory I need, but I don't have a clue when it comes to graphics or any of the other features I need. I'd be willing to build my own PC, too.
Thanks for the help!

Posted 4 years ago

Budohorseman

Keep in mind that Memory and Storage Space are two different things. With lot's of images (in RAW format) and music files, you will want lot's of Storage Space, at least 500 GB, 1 TB if you can (or anything in between). A good amount of Memory (RAM) will be helpful when running your applications (music players, photoshop, etc) and manipulating your images.

As for Re-certified computers, they may actually be better. Most PC's are built on an automated assembly line and are never touched (or seen) by a human. The re-certified ones are ones that were returned for some reason, so a real live person had to inspect it, fix anything that was wrong with it, and make sure it was working properly before allowing it to be reboxed and put up for sale, at a discounted price even.

If I may suggest, consider getting an external hard disk drive to keep back-ups of your images. Can also be handy if you ever need to transfer a huge number of files from one computer to another.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.