The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Upgrading Graphics Card? Gaming PC

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by djhull3917
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 448 times

djhull3917

Hi there i have a HP Pavilion Slimline 32 bit windows 7 2gb of ram.
what graphics card can i upgrade to?

I know this dosent match intel i7 etc--- this is my backup pc im doing up.

I want to make this a gaming pc --what do i need to do for the lowest amount of cash?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

What's the model number?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Make sure to check if the power supply currently installed will "support" the graphic card you want.
Also important: making sure there's enough room in that case to fit the graphic card.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

If your gonna use it as a gaming rig you might want to bump the RAM up to 4GB, the max amount of RAM for a x86 system.

Like afuhnk said, make sure the case is big enough and your PSU can power it.

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

hi there, my computer says that i can not add any more RAM and that there are only 2 slots (1g each), can i simply add more RAM )2g each) will it still work.??

@hArLtRON

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

@fuhnk What do u mean /? as in what power supply do i need to run a new graphics card?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. The RAM options you can check by running the Crucial Scanner: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

2. The size power supply depends on the graphics card. They can run as high as 450 Watts. But the stock power supply is usually only 250 to 300 Watts. My guess is that you most likely will need a better power supply.

3. A slimline box is not the best option to build a gaming PC. There is not a lot of room and it may already be difficult to find even a suitable power supply. And some graphics cards need a lot of room too. Make sure you check all the measurements before you go any further.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

djhull, as whs said, some graphic cards require a lot of power to run. If your power supply is 250-300watts (which usually is the case with the kind of computer you posted), you will definitely need to get a bigger / better power supply. Or you can buy a cheaper graphic card to stay within the limits of your current power supply.

Here's an interesting post about gpu + psu
(Link allowed, I hope)
http://www.tomshardware.com/fo.....ards-guide

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

I see you have another thread asking for prices on touch screens.

If I were you, I'd forget about the touch screen and instead invest on building a good gaming pc.
I doubt there is any good touch screens that will perform well when gaming (response time, etc).

Posted 1 year ago

djhull3917

okay thanks guys,,,,, you lot have been a ton of help!, One more thing is could any of you list or link a specifc power supply and graphics card?

Thanks Guys !!!

@afuhnk
@whs

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Have a look at Newegg.com. There are plenty - but they have to fit into your box.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.