SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Pro or Windows 8?

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JayDivider
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 718 times

JayDivider
JayDivider

I'm looking for some advice on what is the best option for my needs...
I am running W7HP x64 on my desktop and laptop and I would like to run older programs that are not compatible with this version of Windows. I would love to use the XP mode that is available on W7 Pro but the Anytime Upgrade is expensive, $90!
As you know, the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro is $39... So do you think I should upgrade to W7 Pro (or Ultimate), or Windows 8 Pro? I'd love to hear your experiences.
Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

solely going on what ive heard from people whose thoughts and opinions i have a great deal of respect for (especially in this game), i would stick to 7 pro. but then again opinions ARE mixed on both sides ....
for some reading on thoughts and opinions (beleive me theres plenty here) ....
Windows 8 opinions
Windows 8 Yes/No?
Windows 7 vs. Windows 8
Windows 8 Screenshot Tour: Everything You Possibly Want to Know

best thing to do is not rush and read as much as possible. maybe go in and play around on one of the floor models just to see how it feels (8) and ask questions.

Posted 1 year ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

Thanks vistual, I actually played around with a W8 machine and although I couldn't seem to get the hang of it, i could tell there would be a steep learning curve. But that doesn't bother me as I can easily adapt, most people say that has been there experience.
My main concern is running older apps. W8 does not offer XP mode, but its cheaper. W7 Pro has XP but is costlier. BTW I do not have touch screens on any PC...
I'm actually thinking of buying W8 and store it in case I decide to upgrade later...? But for now, I have a coiple of apps I would like to run. Best way...?

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

JayDivider, have you run this on the PC in question to see if the hardware is compatible with Win8?
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-windows-8

Posted 1 year ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

Just ran it and everything checks out, except for a couple of updates.

Posted 1 year ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

So no help out there...?

Posted 1 year ago

jcx
jcx

U want windows 8, 4 $20.00, u can have my upgrade promo code if u like, I
don't care 4 it, but give us yr email cause the offer expires middle of Jan.

Posted 1 year ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

Great! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx thanks!

Edit by mod; I have put the address in your profile for your safety.

Posted 1 year ago

JayDivider
JayDivider

Thanks jcx the code worked fine! Now I guess I have a new dilemma... how to run old software on Windows 8...?! XP mode isn't available for W8 so idk. I'm thinking of dual booting W7 and W8 and upgrading W7 hp to pro to get XP mode. Any thoughts or a cheaper way to accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

jcx
jcx

Glad to b of service, seems u have a windows dilemma
A: When in doubt ask Lh!
I'll see if I can get him @ telepathy.com- calling Lh.. Cq Lh u receiving?.
He'll b along shortly.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

JayDivider, please can you start a New Topic for your new dilemma.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Make an image of your esxisting O/S then partition your HDD and try the XP dual booting if the older games are what your looking for.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Try VMWARE PLAYER which supposedly works in W8 and allows XP to be installed.

I'm running W8 on 2 computers, one my wife's. No problems 'after' one locates the needed updates and replacement drivers. Both had W7 before. Start screen can be bypassed, but we've left it enabled. Just click on the DESKTOP LIVE TILE and you'll never know you are running W8, other than some stuff has been moved or is missing (like the START ORB, but you can get this back if you REALLY want it). Very short timeframe to get used to using it for some items.

No, it doesn't seem faster at all, but our OS is on an SSD on both computers.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!