The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Upgrade laptop's processor?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shackleford96
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 372 times

shackleford96

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L305, Windows 7, 4GB ram, and it just has a single-core processor right now. Is there any way I could upgrade the processor, or is my motherboard limited to the one it already has?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. More Specs would be helpful.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

In any event processor updates seldom improve the operation of the computer and is usually a waste of time. About the only really economical update that can be made to a commercial system to speed it up would be to maximize he memory for your motherboard and Operating System. (Max memory for a 32-bit OS is 4GB - and it does not use all of that)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Laptops are more problematic, besides the motherboard not supporting a better processor, you have to worry about heat and power supply capability. Also if a larger heat sink might be required.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

shackleford96

Thanks you for the replies.

So, as I suspected, upgrading the processor would probably be a pain in the ass (if possible at all) and might not even lend any real results?

The full model number is: L305-S5919
PSLB8U-0JG037

Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU @ 2.16GHz
4GB RAM
64-bit Operating System

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

You have a dual-core Celeron 585 processor. It's upgradable to a Core2 Duo, but I really wouldn't bother.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

You Really would be better off leaving it or buying a new machine.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Taking into consideration Irv's and others, laptop processor upgrades are quite labour intensive, the time taken to get the old one out then inserting new one ( should it work at all )

The Satellite L305 is not worth the effort.

As Owen correctly posted, it is better to buy a new machine.

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!