The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 1525

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jrwalkerchfc
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 3617 times

jrwalkerchfc

Bought Dell Inspiron 1525 at Staples in Jan 2008 preloaded with Vista. Had Blue screen problems from day one. After several tries with Dell service, set computer aside and bought Mac. In Dec 2009 Staples offered upgrade to Windows 7 with "free install" for $120. Took machine in for supposed 45 minute upgrade. Three days later was told that Vista was still trying to update itself and the only way to install Windows 7 was to clean the harddrive. Now I have windows 7, but without any of the preinstalls that came with Vista. I went to Windows Download site for windows 7 and selected several downloads, but when installed the machine froze up and I had to restore it to an earlier time.

I called Dell support and they wanted to "sell" me the solutions package. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Jerry

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Are you in Vista now, and have automatic updates finished, including SP1?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Jerry hi. What pre-installs ? Most of it is junk/crapware. We can point you to free software that is better.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

Oof, I didn't read carefully, did I? Now w/coffee in body, thinking cap is on. Maybe he doesn't care about the pre-installs, but what he downloads now freezes his machine.

Jerry, What are you trying to download? Are you installing one at a time, and restarting each time? You will be happy with W7, I promise you. Just don't buy into Dell's Support Solution. The quality is getting bad again, and the price is higher than ever before.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

I purchased the same Dell inspiron 1525 with Vista. There is a recovery partition or was on your computer. The reason I said was is I don't know what Staples did to it. If they wiped it you should make them accountable. I also upgraded to Win7 with no problem. Can you check when booting to see if it gives you a default recovery option. This would take you back to Vista with all the crapware. You could then install SP1 and from there do a win7 upgrade. You can also log onto Dell site and enter your service code and download all the drivers you need. One important thing when working with Dell is your correct service code #. This will direct you to all correct downloadable software. If you went to the Windows 7 downloads you might have gotten something for a different system.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!