Update on Nvidia Bad graphics chips

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 2383 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

ALL - INFO

Notice the Manufacturers of Current Laptops Affected.

I feel sure HTG will get help request due to bad hardware in Laptops.

http://www.computerworld.com/a.....#38;nlid=8

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks again Rick. Dell doesn't list the laptop I was looking to buy, as one of the problem ones. Same chip, but on an old M/B. (finishing off the old stock I think). Did NVIDIA maybe, slightly re-design the chip, and order a new batch. Or is it possibly not compatible with some newer M/B's ?
Will we ever know ?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,

That is a hard question to answer. Each manufacture keeps their product designs so secret that it difficult to determine (Unless Leaked) what was or is the problem with the Video Chip.

You might remember the scandal with the first Intel Pentiums Processors which would not calculate correctly (Bad Math Co-Processor). Even with the all denials, feature cut-offs, supposed software fixes, etc. to try to over come the problem; the issued ended with a Complete Redesign of the Processor Chip plus a class action product replacement law suit.

A similar issue occurred about (5) years ago when Builders, such as myself, began experiencing early motherboard failures across many brands. It turned out (one) supplier of Talenum Capacitors cheated with the wrong chemical mixture during production (an employee problem). Fortunately, Asus never used the OEM supplier so their MBs were not affected and my machines were not either.

All of this being said, I guess the real answer to your question is that the public (consumer) may never know what the exact problem is / was with the NVIDIA Video Chip. The details will fade into oblivion as other more pressing issues take center stage.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Rick. I know how chips used to be served up. But that was a while ago. Things change.
The maths problem was with Pentium 2 I remember.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,

If I can find out a bit more on the Video Chip; I'll certainly pass it on to you especially due to your particular concerns. Should receive more E-mail trade papers today which might have more info.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks mate :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,

No Problem. MY Pleasure :) :)

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,

Here is what I could find out for you today concerning the Video Chip Problem.

====================================
"Nvidia hasn't determined the cause of the problem but said it relates to a packaging material used with some of its chips, as well as the thermal design of some laptops. Modern processors generate considerable amounts of heat.

To tackle the problem, the company is releasing a software driver that will cause system fans to start operating sooner and reduce the "thermal stress" on the chips. The driver has been provided to laptop makers directly, said Derek Perez, a spokesman for Nvidia."

====================================

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I did see that "fan system thing" What a cop out !

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,

From my reply to you this morning :) :)

"Even with the all denials, feature cut-offs, supposed software fixes, etc."

Have been down this same road many times in 40 years.

(LOL) (LOL)

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I know Rick. Been there, done it, (just not as much as you have :))

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.