The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Unwanted Explorer Window on Startup

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JerryMc
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 1240 times

JerryMc

Each time I boot up an Explorer window pops up pointing to C"\Windows\System32\Recover and in this window "reagent.xml" is the only shortcut. I have run this xml and found that it only lists its contents (program lines). This all started a couple months ago when I tried to use "System Restore" which ended saying that it failed. I have searched the registry and looked for startup items in MSCONFIG but found nothing. My computer (64 bit Dell) is running fine now but I sure would like to get rid of this annoying, useless startup window. Any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

JerryMc hi. Does it show in msconfig ? If so disable it.

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

No, the only things in MSCONFIG Startup that have C:\Windows\System32 are a couple Kodak AIO drivers in \spool\drivers, conime.exe and stikynot.exe but no reagent.xml in the ....system32\recovery folder is listed. All other items are in the c:\programfiles branch.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have a look with this,
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....63902.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

I have version 9.57 of Autoruns but have downloaded the above newer version. I will advise if it flags anything. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Tis a good idea to check with that on a regular basis. That way you get to know what is normal, and what maybe isn't.

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

Well.........I didn't find anything in the Autoruns listings that looked suspect. I did "finds" on (recover(y)), (error), (reagent), etc. but just nothing showed up.

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

I also did "finds" on c:\windows\users\(username)\desktop and didn't find anything with that either.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Using Regedit,

Check this Registry Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ MICROSOFT \ WINDOWS NT \ CURRENT VERSION \ WINLOGON

and make sure it has an entry in it that looks EXACTLY like this and NO more after the FIRST comma.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

Sorry, folks. I've been "down" for some time. Neck cancer operation, had to put a 17-1/2 yr old kitty down, etc. Life snowballed on me. Anyway, raphoenix I checked that key in the reg and that's exactly what mine says. Nothing extra after the comma. Thanks for the offerings. It sure seems like a mystery. It does show two more data lines of "VMApplet REG_SZ SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe /pagefile" and "WinStationsDisabled REG_SZ 0"

Posted 1 year ago

JerryMc

I was finally able to get rid of that needless window using PC Cleaner. It doesn't come up anymore. Unfornately PC Clearner also ruined all my links to weather pages and ruined several of my links to You Tube videos by changing them to display my Kodak printer's print options windows as if I had asked something to be printed out even though I didn't!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Pc Cleaner is an untrustworthy program I would remove that entirely.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!