The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

unwanted computer generated calls

(10 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by chaz332048
  • Latest reply from PUPPYDOG
  • Topic Viewed 4974 times

chaz332048

Is there a trick that exists that upon answering one's phone that one could fool the computer generated call into thinking it has reached a non-working number,i.e. repeatedly tapping a certain key?

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I wish there was. I'm about ready to yank my land line because of the abuse.

Posted 3 years ago

Santo
Santo

The only way to stop unwanted calls is to call your service provider and report to them.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Unfortunately, for every one you block, two more pop up. I've cut down on a lot of the calls by not giving my true phone number to anyone anymore. However, that doesn't stop the auto-dialed robo calls.

I got one call today from some bitch asking to speaking to who was in charge of the bottled water orders. When I asked her what the heck she was talking about, her reply made it obvious she "thought" I was a business. I coldly told her she had a residence and I didn't use bottle water. She quickly replied they were supposed to be calling only businesses and would have my number removed from the list. If she was supposed to only be calling businesses, why was she calling after 6 PM? Lately, I've been getting quite a few calls from businesses trying to find ways to weasel around the Federal Do Not Call List.

I'm seriously considering Skype since my computer is up 24/7. An alternative is to get a second cell phone account and a gizmo I saw that will link an el cheapo cell phone to a regular land line type phone via bluetooth. I could leave that phone at home permanently connected to a charger.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

In the UK we have TPS, Telephone Preference Service. Once you register it takes around 5 - 6 weeks to settle in. I reckon on a reduction of around 80% in nuisance cold calling. However, it does not cover overseas call centres ringing you. Strangely, it is not illegal to call if you actually ask for someone by name. I just wonder what poor 'Mrs Sayers' (5 calls a month) has done to deserve this!

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

I Leave my Answerphone on permanently,
also use TPS, but it is amazing the odd one gets through, but once they hear the answer phone they stop.
Anyone who knows me and need to get hold of me know if I am in I will pick up, or I will ring them back when next around.
At least that way if unwanted callers,decide to leave a message, which I have yet to be bothered with, you can delete without listening to all their I presume drivvle.
Kate

Posted 3 years ago

nt0xik8ed
nt0xik8ed

check out google voice

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I pretend to be an agent of Whitehall (MI5) you wouldnt believe how quick they slam the phone down. LOL

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider
Seasider

For a long time I have done similar to GuiltySpark. I say, in a stern voice, "This is a secure unlisted number. How did you get hold of It". So far everyone has apologised and rapidly hung up. Add a couple of click noises while you are speaking to add to their anxiety.

Posted 3 years ago

PUPPYDOG
PUPPYDOG

I used to get a lot of computer generated calls, someone told me that the only way to stop them is by not answering the phone when they come through, and sooner or later the computers block the number as not in use ( yeah, i thought the same, how exactly do you know until you answer )
The best i could come up with was to put the ringer on silent so i could not hear the phone ring, then i arranged for anyone who knows me to ring my mobile and hang up, then ring my landline, i knew when it rang because there is a red flashing light on the handset.
I did this for a few months and then swithed the ringer back on, i have never recieved an unwanted call since.
I have also registered with the tps, so that has got to be a good help.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.