How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Unresponsive Cursor

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 1223 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

The cursor using my laptop touchpad keeps having periods of becoming very erratic, going slow to move and finally freezing up...everything else works ok when this is happening. If I leave it a couple of minutes or reboot it's ok. I've replaced the touchpad driver, reimaged (doesn't eliminate possibility problem is in the image though), done sfc /scannow, This has been happening for a few months. Any other ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Try with a mouse to narrow down the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Good idea. I'll use one for a day or so.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Good, please report back what happened.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I think I've located the cause of the unresponsive cursor. I looked in Performance tab in Task Manager and CPU was running at 100%. I looked in Processes and the culprit turned out to be MsMpEng which is MS Essentials. I turned it off and the problem went away. A scheduled scan was not due at that time...I don't know what it was doing to warrant hogging the processor. Perhaps there is a corrupted file or instruction that's making it do this so I'm going to reinstall it.

I struggled to get to the Task Manager with the loopy cursor so if someone complains of this problem sometime it might be a good idea to get them to install some visual indication of memory and processor use in the system tray to monitor to see if cpu time or memory space is getting saturated.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Before you reinstall MSE, make sure you uninstall your current one with their uninstaller. Else you can end up with the same problem. Pick the uninstaller from here. (I cannot link it otherwise because it will reult in a direct download).

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Aha. MSE. I had a similar problem for a while, but it went away on its own after about a month. All smooth now.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

whs

I d/l the uninstaller but it was in German, nevertheless I hit both buttons separately and it didn't work. I used the add/remove route. Pity I couldn't use Revo as it only works for 32bit programs in the free version. If the problem recurs I know where to look. I tell you what, an AV is definitely quite heavy on a computer's apparent speed...it's on steroids without it! :D Hmm.....

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Hmm, sorry, I did not know that this was a German Version - never used it yet mayself. Maybe you could apply this FixIt after the normal uninstall.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yes, I've done that fixit now, thanks. It ran but didn't see anything. I shall reinstall tomorrow. I'll post back in a few days and see if the problem has gone...I suspect it has.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It is strange that MSE gives you that problem. I am using MSE on some systems and have never seen that. Hopefully there is not a conflict with some other program you have installed. You do not have another AV program - right ??

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

For some reason, MSE will do that. That is the 3rd time it has come up here. But as I said, it clears up on its own. It just eats the CPU for a while.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Still got the problem...mse still not re-installed :( It definitely seems like something is chewing resources when it happens...it only lasts for two or three minutes at most. I've got my usb mouse by me...I'll put it in when it goes weird. I might go back to my most basic image.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!