The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - 'Unknown Device' in Devices and Printers

(9 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by lewglenn
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 13509 times

lewglenn

Unknown Device shows up in Devices and Printers. When I right click on Troubleshoot it says an error occurred that prevents troubleshoot from starting. When I right click on Properties it shows up as Unknown Device of type Universal Serial Bus controllers. The Manufacturer is listed as Standard USB Host Controller. The Location is given as Port_#0002 Hub_#0004. The Device Status says: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43).

What should I do about this? Do I need to worry about it?

Thx.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi lewglenn ,

Its just a message that comes up to let you know that a Driver failed to work, 2 things to try :

1. Check to make sure the device is compatible

2. Run the Microsoft Fix it tool
http://support.microsoft.com/m....._problems/

Posted 3 years ago

lewglenn

Don't know what device it's talking about. Fixit tool says 'troubleshooting cannot proceed (error)'; typical of Microsoft products.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark

Is your printer connected when it says this ?

Posted 3 years ago

lewglenn

Yes. And the printer appears to be working properly.

There are 4 icons showing up under 'Devices' (My computer name, an external hard drive, a USB receiver & my monitor; the My Computer icon has an exclamation next to it just as the Unknown Device which is shown below).

Under Printers and Faxes there are an additional 4 icons (my printer, CutePdf Writer, Fax, and Microsoft XPS Document Writer)

Finally, under Unspecified, there is the 1 icon labeled 'Unknown Device'.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark

Could you show a pic of it, and what devices are plugged into the computer ?

Posted 3 years ago

vistual

not try'n to jack this, gs, but a quick sugestion ...
lewglenn, right click on the device with the yellow problem (!) icon and select uninstall then scan for hardware changes.

Posted 3 years ago

lewglenn

Found the problem (thanks for asking about devices connected); I had an old Skype box whose driver is not recognized by W7 & forgot to unplug the USB cable to it. Unknown Device has now disappeared.

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark

Glad you got it solved. :)

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.