The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Uninstall the Ask Tool Bar

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kemahbay
  • Latest reply from razdavalnik
  • Topic Viewed 1301 times

kemahbay

I tried going to Control Panel and clicked Uninstall Ask Tool bar but it keep repeating to close all Chrome Windows. They were closed and the Ask Tool bar is still there, however the Ask Updater was removed. Am I missing something here and just how to I get rid of the Ask Tool bar?

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

kemahbay -

Take a look at this article which was posted here just in the past week or so regarding removal of the Ask toolbar.

Read and follow the directions carefully, and let us know how you make out.

"The Shameful Saga of Uninstalling the Terrible Ask Toolbar"

If you managed to get infected with the absolutely terrible Ask Toolbar on your computer, don’t be ashamed – it could happen to anybody.

http://www.howtogeek.com/13851.....k-toolbar/

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

Go here, download and run the ask toobar remover.
http://autoclean.computersitter.com/downloads

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Adwcleaner wipes it away...no probs. Install Adwcleaner > Click Search > Click away the log > Click Delete > Reboot. Reset you homepage if necessary.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/A.....aner.shtml

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

kemahbay

First tried going through all the steps with Uninstall program - the Ask Updater was deleted, however the Ask Toolbar is still there. Then tried installing Autoclean file listed above, not knowing there would be a monthly charge for using this service. Since I wasn't ready to start paying a monthly charge, I uninstalled this program from computer. Is there any other way to get this Ask Toolbar deleted without paying a monthly charge for yet another program on my computer??

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Did you follow the HowtoGeek instructions on the page given by Straspey above?

In your browser is thete not an X somewhere on the toolbar. Clicking this usually lets you disable it and it vanishes.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

Then tried installing Autoclean file listed above, not knowing there would be a monthly charge for using this service.

All you should have done was download and run Ask Tool Bar remover ( the first one in the list in the middle of the page ). It's FREE!

EDIT: I've always used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of Ask Tool Bar.

Jimv

Posted 1 year ago

kemahbay

I've decided to give up on uninstalling the Ask toolbar. I'm not going to purchase yet another program such as Autoclean or what ever else there is out there just to have a monthly charge for the service, so I guess I'll just live with it! Don't have any other answers. Thanks to those of you who offered advice, even though nothing worked.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Did you use adwcleaner I linked. I only suggest this because its easier and totally free.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I don't understand this. I got this AskToolbar a couple of times as junk with another download (Softpedia does that and there is nothing you can do about it). But each time I was able to uninstall it. I use the free Revo uninstaller and apply the advanced option. It worked for me - should work for you too.

Take the Freeware program: http://www.revouninstaller.com.....nload.html

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Softpedia always advises if there is a secondary item with the download. Spoke with owner about this. There's nothing hard about removing toolbars and search pages it's just that things like adwcleaner make it easier. I've MANUALLY removed examples of ALL toolbars and Search pages so far. It's all down to user oversight of the installation instructions which often have a checkbox for easy reverting later and IT REALLY WORKS but people don't tick it.

Posted 1 year ago

razdavalnik

Finaly remove files from temporary folders ...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.