The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Unbeatable Blue Screen and Startup Repair errors

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by khinzaw
  • Latest reply from khinzaw
  • Topic Viewed 439 times

khinzaw

So I have an Asus G74SX and pretty much since Day-1 it has an issue where every once in a while it'll blue screen every once in a while. I got around this by selecting start from last known good configuration every time it happened. Eventually the blue screen would come back; however. Now that method doesn't work and when I try to do it from startup repair it says that my D partition has my OS when it is my C partition. So when I try to do anything there it says there isn't a problem or that there is nothing there to boot up from. Can anyone help me with either problem? I really want to use my computer again.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

First, follow these instructions from the repair screen (or use a Windows 7 install DVD or USB) to backup your important files:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Also, from the Notepad "Open File" menu, check your drive letters. They may be different in a recovery environment like this: for instance your recovery partition may be labeled C:, and your Windows 7 D:, although this is rather unusual.

The blue screen usually indicates some problem with the operating system itself, not with the boot process, that's why the "Automatic Startup Repair" won't find any trouble with booting. You can try the following: on a command prompt from the recovery environment, enter the following command to repair corrupt system files:

sfc /scannow /offdir=C:\windows /offbootdir=C:\

This will repair your filesystem in case Windows keeps failing:

chkdsk C: /f

Always replace C: with the corresponding letter for your Windows 7 installation.

You can also run a quite basic malware scan by running this from the recovery environment, and performing a full scan of your PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....fault.aspx

If you can't repair it, try reinstalling Windows 7. Ask us if you need any help.

Posted 1 year ago

jasahasch

Try this option:

Follow this link:Boot Loader Repair

Each command will complete succesfully, remove recovery disc (used to enter windows recovery counsel) reboot machine. If you are unable to find the boot loader-at all, do a re-install of the OS.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I usually recommend a more complete bootloader repair process (example here), but I don't think this will help here, as Windows starts booting OK and then it is interrupted by the BSOD, but the bootloader works.

Posted 1 year ago

khinzaw

So I managed to fix it; however, I have no audio because I had to disable the sound driver for Realtek Audio. I have deleted it and reinstalled it multiple times, but every time rtkvhd64.sys makes my computer blue screen again. Also, there are little locks on my shortcuts and to get nearly ever program to work I have to run it as an administrator, I can't even diagnose my network connection. Can someone help me with these problems too?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.