The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Unable to View MP3 Tags

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by joefuf
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1164 times

joefuf

On any mp3 files on my computer, I am unable to view the title, artist, and album tags in Windows Explorer. If I go into the Details section of the file properties, I cannot edit the file. In a program like iTunes, I can view and edit the tags, but I don't want to have to rely on a third-party program if I don't have to.

I am on a Dell Vostro 1520 running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, for MP3 tags you do have to rely on a third party utility, since Windows Explorer can show some of the tags, but doesn't provide a functionality to edit them. In order to view the tags in Windows Explorer you can right click on the headings bar and select tag information to add to the display.

To edit, I use a free utility, MP3Tag, for all of my tag editing. You will find it a pleasure to work with.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

Is it possible your mp3s only have ID3v2 tags and Windows reads ID3v1 tags? I agree with Enthusiast that MP3Tag is an awesome program and it will allow you to fill out the full tags of your mp3s in batches.

Posted 2 years ago

joefuf

It used to display them all just fine. It was only a few weeks ago that Windows stopped being able to show them.

Posted 2 years ago

Superevil
Superevil

Was your default player for mp3 files changed?

Posted 2 years ago

joefuf

No, I don't think so. I use WMP to play MP3's by default (although I often click and drag to VLC). I updated DivX like two weeks ago, but the problem was happening long before that (like 3 weeks before). I can try an uninstall and see if that fixes it. I know DivX changed itself to the default player of media.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I know DivX changed itself to the default player of media. That is what Superevil asked.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!