The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Unable to read adobe pdf

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by morganj1
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 494 times

morganj1

I scanned several documents from a dell printer to PDF format. When I try to open them I get error msg that associated program not found or if Item was emailed there is a decoding problem. Other documents I scanned more recently work fine. Pblm is these older documents are no longer available for rescanning. Can these file be repaired?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Assuming the extension is .pdf then they should open unless there is a corruption for any reason. What pdf reader do you have at the moment

You could try to open them with this; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/sof.....iewer.html

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

whs

Try another pdf reader - e.g. Foxit.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

This one's ok that I use:

http://www.softpedia.com/progD.....68140.html

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Tony, same one LOL; my link above; http://blog.kowalczyk.info/sof.....iewer.html

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Duh...silly me! Should've looked. :) Yes, very light and fast and handles quite a few formats.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Tony, no worries.
It was a ping from LH a while ago.
Yep reads extremely well and it is my default reader. And it remembers where you left off after closing a doc, nice.
Especially when you got manual for the tv remote...133 pages LOL

Posted 2 years ago

whs

That sounds interesting. Would be handy to read my new car manual - 520 pages. 120 pages just for the radio operation. This is becoming more and more ridiculous.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

The thread or 520 pages of the manual....................

Posted 2 years ago

whs

520 pages of the car manual. In the old days cars had 2 instruments and 3 buttons. Now you get a gezillion buttons, two screens which allow another gezillion settings and half of the time the car does things automatically without driver intervention. It will take me 2 years to get used to this car. I miss my old 13 year old Renault.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Whs

Who needs modern technology.... bring back cleaning the points and using feeler gauges to set the gap. :)

Sumatra opens: PDF, ePub, MOBI, CHM, XPS, DjVu, CBZ, CBR. A good find by LH.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

If I remember right, Sarah was the first Sumatra fan.

And regarding the old day's cars you are right. I once had an Alpha Romeo Bertone Coupe that would not start when it was cold or wet. I always had to take out the spark plugs, clean those and then it started. That was kind of a nuisance in the parking lots - especially when it rained.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.