How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Unable to mount ACER

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Owendewarrior
  • Latest reply from nosparks
  • Topic Viewed 1017 times

Owendewarrior

Hello,
A friend of mine asked me to help her recover her important data inside her "blue screen of death" laptop's hard disk, I have gone through an old forum with a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to use Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from dead windows computer (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/) but I couldn't go far. I had to type root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /media/disk and I received the following information: mkdir: cannot create directory '/media/disk': File exists. I really don't know what else to do.
In addition, please see below the error message I received when I tried to open the drive:

UNABLE TO MOUNT ACER
Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/ubuntu/ACER: Command-line 'mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisk2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/ubuntu/ACER"" exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/Out error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/directory, (e.g./dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.

The laptop is ACER Aspire 7720!

Please, I really need help!

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

WOW - I don't have a clue what any of that stuff is that you've got there but I suspect you would have more success with something a little more current. Don't know if you actually used Ubuntu 8.04 as per that article but that's almost 5 years old now.

If I may refer you to this http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-314690 that I posted in another discussion earlier today, I would think you would have better success.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!