How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Unable to install Windows 8 getting error 0xc000012f

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ATULZGR8
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 3969 times

ATULZGR8
ATULZGR8

Earlier I was unable to upgrade my current Windows 7 Ultimate using a x86 Windows 8 CP image. I assumed, may be it's bad burn.
Now I re-downloaded Windows 8 CP x86 ISO and tried to CLEAN INSTALL, ended up with following error message...

Please help me out...

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Atulzgr8 ,

I could be wrong but I don't think you can upgrade as its still CP version.

Infact the upgrade may not be possible on the eventual release ???

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

It is a bad idea to install the Win8 CP over your Win7 system. I suggest you define an extra partition for Win8 and install into that partition. That partition can be a logical partition. Then you get a double boot for both systems.

Be careful with the definition of a new partition though (even a logical partition). Check first in Disk Management whether you have only 3 (or less) primary partitions on that disk. If you have already 4 primary partitions, you have to first convert one of the primaries to logical, else you get a BIG problem with dynamic partitions.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

It would be better if you didn't install over your Windows 7 partition because Windows 8 CP only runs until January 2013 and if you want to go back it will be harder if you don't have a disc and multi-use product key. You can install the Windows 8 CP on a VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) using this article. I just did this and it worked flawlessly! If you don't like the VHD, you just have to delete the VHD and re-write the Master Boot Record. Here is a link with better un-installation instructions. Hope this helps!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.