SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Unable to access Home Network after OneCare installationin XP?

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JackC
  • Latest reply from JackC
  • Topic Viewed 2020 times

JackC

Folks,
Please excuse this long dialog...
I downloaded and installed Windows Live OneCare Version 1.6.2111.30 Saturday September 8th, 2007. I installed it on one (1) Vista Ultimate and two (2) Windows XP Professional machines. The Vista installation is running perfectly; however, the XP installations, each cut off access to the home network system. This was first observed when OneCare backup could not be used on the network as it had been with the Vista installation. I'm a long time Microsoft enthusiast (1986) and this is my first real disappointment with any Microsoft product… I put 24 man hours of troubleshooting into these installations; only to conclusion the solution was to remove OneCare. Once removed, the home networks were again accessible from the respective machines.

Description on Home Network:
Six (6) machines four (4) Pentium Fours, one (1) Pentium Three and one (1) Pentium Two connected with D-Link DGS-2208 eight port switch through a D-Link DIR-655 cable router hard wired with cat5 to Intel PRO/1000 Adapters. The Pentium Three machine is used as an Archive and backup machine with four (4) hard drives partitioned with drives ranging in size 40-150 gig. All machines are Microsoft auto-updated and protected with Microsoft Defender. Virus protection (except now for the OneCare on the Vista Ultimate machine) is provided by Avast! 4 Home Edition.

What am I doing wrong for XP?
JackC

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

Off the top of my head I seem to recall a known issue with One Care ... this was about a year ago... so I am assuming they patched it...

Have you checked the firewall settings?

Posted 6 years ago

JackC

Yes, Firewall was checked and corresponded with setting in Vista machine...

Posted 6 years ago

JackC

Solution found. A special thanks to “mysticgeek." I sure hope this will help others;

The problem is a different installation internal behavior between Vista and Windows XP. Specifically; Vista: OneCare installs and adopts the exciting Home Network assignments; however, Windows XP installations must be adjusted within the OneCare program… (a surprise after installing OneCare on Vista). I made a serious error by comparing the functional installations between the two. So in Windows XP OneCarefollow this procedure;
1- Open OneCare
2- Click – Change OneCare Settings
3- Click - Firewall
4- Click - Firewall connection tool
5- Review and click appropriate boxes
6- Click - OK
7- Click - OK

Done!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!