How-To Geek Forums / Linux

ubuntu security

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by 0zSpitt
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 2628 times

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

is ubuntu secure enough to do online purchasing or banking?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i would think so as long as you have your firewalls and such running and not leaving your self out in the open

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Also regardless of Operating System make sure you are on a secure HTTPS connection. Usually the browser will have a lock to show this and a yellow/green address bar.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

jd i forgot all about that extra part of security that they put on there thx for taking up my slack as i'm getting a bit tired :)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

is firefox through a router with the firewall offered in the linux package enough?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that it should be if you are on a secure site like jd said but you can always ask on the ubuntu forums too they would know for sure :)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

ah, the ubuntu forums, my favorite place to get lost...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i know what you mean and takes them forever to reply too lol but if you are willing to wait then they usually give pretty good advise :) but i would think that is has enough security just look for the https and the lock icon on the site before you start to put things in

Posted 5 years ago

gaurang

well .. my bet is for ubuntu .. if you are having same stuffs .. e.g. like you said , firefox and a router and other standard things ... then i bet windows will not be as safer linux is .... and as far as that lock is sign is concern ... i guess , recently they have found that this SSL can be impersonate too !!! .... or its insecure , if your DNS is poisoned !!! .. ahh .. there are lots of possibilities .....

but as far as OS is concern ... linux is more safe for sure ... well , in one line i can say is , in Linux you can't execute anything ( like virus or spyware or anything ) without admin. password .. so nothing gets done automatically ( if you are dumb enough to enter your password here and there , then no one can save your *%& ) ... right ??

so don't worry .... and use linux with peace of mind ... :)

P.S. .. linux is so secured that it doesn't require any firewall if its a standalone system .... neither need any AVs .... and ya... ubuntu forums is good place , if you love ubuntu ...

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i'm addicted to it. my thing now is to find out how to get the buttons in emerald to color

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

haha i love ubuntu too it is my main os now that i have really got into it but sometimes like at the moment i have to use vista cuz my network is down and i have to connect to the internet through my laptop which i can't get on in ubuntu as stated here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=12

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

if i could get wireless and an equivalent to windows media center i would more than likely switch over permanently. so far everything i've looked for i've found, except some of the graphics. i gave ubuntu 25 gigs of space, so far i've only used 10 with everything i've added. some can also be removed because i was just checking it out.
i did follow your thread hoping someone had an answer.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i think that i might have found a way on how to do it but now i can't seem to find my drivers at the moment to see if it will work lol

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!