The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Ubuntu probs please help

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Oakdude
  • Latest reply from Oakdude
  • Topic Viewed 580 times

Oakdude

Just installed Ubuntu, was asking me for a username and password????Tried my existing details and kept saying invalid pword etc.....
I wasnt asked to input any uername or password during installation....what gives...
Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated...
thanks

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Oakdude, hi.

When installing Ubuntu you would have had the username and password option, ubuntu does not install without those options.

What is the Ubuntu version and where did you download from?

If this is a clean install, then redo the installation, taking notes on the way.

Mike

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Oakdude

Hi Mike,
thanks for your help.
Ver 12.04.1 from Ubuntu website.
Will have a crack and advise.
thanks again
Paul

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Paul, reinstall 12.04
Linux is pretty severe on security and without the PW no sudo commands will work from the terminal

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

You say "Just installed Ubuntu". This would indicate that you have completed the install. Did you install Ubuntu to your hard drive? If so, how did you do it?

This sounds like a similar situation to what I run into "installing", actually "making" a bootable live linux version of Mint on a usb stick.

Posted 1 year ago

Oakdude

Hi guys,
all sorted. this time it went thru username etc all good. No idea what happened on previous attempt.
I made a cd with the installation on it and then opted to install.
Is very weird desktop, never ever seen it before.
My windows vista however seems noticeably slower since. This laptop is dying anyhow (Hard disc error, thanks to 3yr old and a very strong magnet)and will be doing new build desktop shortly. When I get chance will upgrade ram and get new SSD for this laptop and use it as media server, if I can figure a way of getting HDMI or DVI out from it as at present is only the D-sub port.
May well then delete vista and just use Ubuntu for this.
Are there any things I need to be aware of re, running DVD, CD in Ubuntu??
thanks again for all your help.
This site is a wonderful find for me.
Paul

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!