The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

ubuntu OS

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ppareshthakur
  • Latest reply from linux
  • Topic Viewed 598 times

ppareshthakur

has anybody installed ubuntu os for laptop.

EDit by mod; moved to Linux from OT

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

This is how I did it. I used Mint as example but Ubuntu is exactly the same. Download the PDF from my link and you will see.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=475a0a48ca6d4035&provision=1&ref=3&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=412485191#cid=475A0A48CA6D4035&id=475A0A48CA6D4035%211853

Posted 1 year ago

linux

I've used Ubuntu on my laptop as well as 4 desktops for years. There is nothing special about loading it on a laptop. First thing is go to the Ubuntu download site and download the latest OS (12.10) in either 32 or 64 bit format. It will be a (large) .iso file. Then burn the iso image onto a blank DVD. At this point, Ubuntu refers to it as a Live CD/DVD.

Insert the DVD and boot. It will take some time, but when it boots up you'll have a working Ubuntu OS. At this point, you can use it and experiment around without changing what's currently on your hard drive, be it Windows or something else. If you want to install it, you'll have the choice of overwriting what's on the hard drive or installing it on a different drive or partition. When that's done and you reboot, you'll be presented with a menu (called grub of all thing, on the master boot record, aka MBR) that allows you to choose which OS you want to boot to, windows or ubuntu.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!