How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Ubuntu >> Vista File Transfer

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by hawklol
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1508 times

hawklol

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

I've just followed that guide to boot up with an Ubuntu Live CD on my dead XP HDD...

I've followed the guide and "opened" all the partitions on my HDD (I can go Places >> Computer>> Double Click on a partition and it'll work).

Now I just want to transfer files to another computer/HDD which is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Point is, I'm having a bit of trouble making the actual transfer... I've never set up a network of any sort before, and I've followed the "Backing Up to Network Share" section of the guide, but I get an error which reads...

Cannot display location "smb://***@***/***"
Failed to mount Windows share

(Where *** stands for what I've typed down as Server/Share/Username)

Is anyone able to help me with this? I've simply connected the two computers together via an ethernet cable... Just the normal kind (if there are any others o_O) which came from an old modem I've discontinued using...

Can anyone shed some light on how I'd be able to network my computer successfully and transfer some files via it?

Thank you :)

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Hi hawklol. Not my forté, but I have a feeling that you need to use a cross-over ethernet cable.
without buying a new cable, you can use something like this,
http://www.in-home-network.co......4b-7-p.asp

Posted 5 years ago

hawklol

Thank you... I was hoping I wouldn't need one of those... :s

If only I read this earlier before I went out... I could've stopped at the local computer shop >_<

Next time I guess, and thanks for your help... :o

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Those adapters I have seen for as little as US$2.00. Just make sure it is Cat 5e or 6, NOT Cat 5 or less.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!