The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

ubuntu driver

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Neal
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 551 times

Neal

when i use windows OS,then from which site i can download driver for ubuntu OS....and please tell me can i take backup of the driver whatever i installed in ubuntu so that i can use them again when i need.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Any driver, whether downloaded in either Windows or Linux can be saved to a folder on your data partition (if you have one) or a stick, cd, dvd

Specific drivers can be found here initially; http://www.linux-drivers.org/

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Most 3rd party closed source drivers for ubuntu can be installed through Additional Drivers function. Other than graphics cards or network adapters there is not much need to download drivers because mostly all drivers needed for vast majority of hardware are included in the linux kernel. What is the hardware for which you are trying to download a driver?

Posted 1 year ago

Neal

its -x86 architecture based hardware.i have dell inspiron 1525 laptop with configuration 160 gb hdd,2 gb ram,core 2 duo processor.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

What particular driver are you looking for? A graphics card? A network adapter? Please be more specific, that last response told us nothing. For the most part when you install ubuntu most drivers you need are included in the linux kernel. No need to download each piece of hardware's driver and install separately as in Windows. With laptops you may need to find a driver or two. Usually those can be found and downloaded from Additional drivers function in Ubuntu. But if that fails in order to find the driver you need to know what piece of hardware you need it for. So from the beginning...is ubuntu already installed? If yes what hardware is not working? If ubuntu is not installed boot from the Ubuntu Live CD/USB and try ubuntu. You will soon see if all hardware is working or not from the Live CD/USB.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!