How-To Geek Forums / Linux

ubuntu and my gadgets

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bamsan
  • Latest reply from Michael
  • Topic Viewed 3059 times

bamsan
bamsan

I never used linux before. Lately I saw a lot of mentioning about ubuntu. This makes me curious and eager to try it. Well, I have an ipod shuffle, a tungsten t3, a canon ip1000, an usb powered canon scanner model n676u, and a sony ericsson k800i celphone. Can ubuntu communicate with them?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

iPod Shuffle: Yes - gtkpod

The others I am not sure about. If your Tungsten, Canon and Scanner are USB then I would imagine so.

As for teh CellPhone the answer is currently nope.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Teufel
Teufel

You should be able to connect all your devices with Ubuntu. I am sure you can connect the k800i , all you need to do is connect it to the system with the phone USB cable and you are ready to go, as Ubuntu will discover it as a USB storage device and you can transfer files with a click of a button.

For the canon, tungsten and the scanner you may need to do some manual configuration, but then its always fun to configure things manually in Linux, which is a great way to learn the OS. Here are the steps to configure your Canon.

URL: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45609

If you just Google with "Ubuntu and your device name" you will find a lot of info on how to use your devices with Ubuntu ... :-)

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

I would have thought the phone used another system for transferring files, like the iPod?

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Yeah. I visited ubuntu forum. It's very interesting to see all those manual configuration, reminds me of my old msdos days :) soooo cryptic but loved it so much.

Posted 6 years ago

jake
jake

I've had great luck with two different Sony Clies on Linux using KPilot. According to their website, a T3 should work. For iPods, I suggest using Amarok. I have used it with a few basic players and know people who use iPods with it just fine.

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

I see that there're a lot of linux varian. Some of them are very small in size for a modern OS. I wonder what makes ubuntu stands out of the crowd? Also can you say that ubuntu is among those that has the best hardware and gadget support?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Yes. I use Ubuntu extensivley, and it is great for my iPod. :D What makes it stand out is it's support, it's ease of use and it's common HCI with other interfaces and programs.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

jake
jake

I have used a lot of different distos throughout my Linux days, but I have grown to love the Ubuntu family for a lot of the same reasons as other people I suppose.

1) Great Debian Package Management
2) Everything usually works
3) You can get lots of support (not as much me, but I still need help with some things)
4) Stable
5) New releases come out quite often

And many more. :)

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Not to mention it can be used on nearly any PC System including a Mac.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Regarding a Mac, I still have my G4 powerbook 400MHz. Great condition except for the dead battery, has dvd-rom. Do you think ubuntu will run on it?

Posted 6 years ago

jake
jake

The Ubuntu PPC port is no longer maintained. You can look through this list noted below if you want to find something that is kept updated. Based on the ease of use of the x86 versions I suggest using Fedora or OpenSUSE out of that list.

http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

I visited the Fedora and OpenSUSE download page. Those OS are huge. Do you think a G3/400MHz will be able to use it with a reasonable speed? Currently I'm still using OS9, for daily paperwork. Tried OSX once, but G3/400 just too slow for OSX.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Yeah - the idea about Linux is that it can run on any system spec. It should run OK if you are not using huge processess.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!