How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Ubuntu 8.10 Released

(26 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 3091 times

ScottW
ScottW

JonMCC33, how about Kubuntu -- does that work for you?
http://www.kubuntu.org/

I'm constantly amazed at how many different Linux distros there are, how many flavors of each distro, and how Linux advocates quarrel with each other over which are better. It's like the People's Front of Judea -- the only thing they hate worse than the Romans is the Judean People's Front. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

jonhill987
jonhill987

I really don't like KDE, Gnome or Xfce is far better IMO. But that is the beauty of Linux is it not? The ability to chose your shell. It may be harder to customise than Windows, but there are far more options when you work out what you are doing.
That said, my main PC will remain Windows[1] only. Don't get me wrong I like Linux, and am really getting to grips with it since buying an Acer Aspire One[2] but I like my gaming hassle free.
I might put Ubuntu 8.10 on my old laptop at the weekend to see what it is like, and then may dual boot it on my second box[3] with XP.

[1] Vista Home Premium
[2] and got rid of that stupid netbook GUI they put on it
[3]When I get around to building the thing out of the parts I have left over from various upgrades that is.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

One thing i gotta ask before installing. I hate the fact that the mouse never just works and you gotta edit xorg.conf to make the scroll wheel work and such. Does the mouse wheel work out the box now?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@indisent mine did :) but it may depend on the kind of mouse you have though i have a pretty common one but you might still need to configure some things if you have one of those fancy gaming ones with like 10 buttons haha

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Cool. I should be ok. I have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Does anyone know if the 71 and 96 series of proprietart nVidia drivers, which are provided by nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx (used for nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4) are compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10 yet? I honestly haven't used Ubuntu since I upgraded because of this issue.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!