The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Ubuntu 8.10 Released

(26 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 3091 times

ScottW

Intrepid Ibex is here, but I haven't heard it mentioned here at HTG. Will everyone be upgrading? Are there any awesome new features? There have been several folks running "fakeRAID" who were waiting for Wubi Installer 8.10 to support it. But, I can't find any proof that this feature is added.

I'm composing this message from a Live session booted from the Install CD on my Vista system. Seems to be working, as far as I can tell.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

I've been testing it out... works pretty well so far.

We don't bother trying to beat everybody out of the gate to write about new stuff... better to write something useful if possible =)

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

everything seems good so far. i've only found two small meaningless things so far. the downloading seems a little slower and there's no caps for the cube. i know, i sound like an XPer complain how i can't run vista. whaa whaa

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

We'll soon find out if it supports fake-raid as have one machine which is way over due for a clean install so will be perfect time for testing maybe this weekend or early next week.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

pjeet89

I am writing this post while logging in to Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. I am new to Gnome and Linux but I am finding them to be very friendly. As far downloading is concerend yes I am a bit dissapointed with the downloading of updates and codecs. But I feel relieved from the Aero of Vista.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that 8.10 has a nicer look to it but haven't really gone into any of the specifics of the upgrade yet.

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier

Is it full install only, or can 8.04 be upgraded? I didn't see it on the Ubuntu website.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

You can upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, but this update is not being pushed out. See the instructions here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I should have posted this before, the release notes for 8.10:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier

Thanks, I saw the release notes, guess i didn't look close enough for upgrade info.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire

Is anyone else having video driver issues?

I have NVIDIA gForce4 MX 4000 and I can't download my driver yet.

Posted 5 years ago

mikerbromley

Hi all, I am a newbie but have followed this site for some time and I always seem to find an answer to what seems like a piddling problem (to me!).
I have used Hardy Heron (dual boot with Vista Premium <yuk> for some 6 months and was never able to connect to the internet, fixed or wireless. I searched and followed all the 'solutions', to no avail. However I liked the look and feel so did most of my work within it. Here (HTG) I saw Intrepid Ibex 8.10 was available. YIPEEE!!! seemless upgrade, ethernet picked up immediately and wireless asked me for wep key and well, it worked!!!!
I have had no problems navigating the new OS notwithstanding the fact I know nothing about the command structure of Linux.
Only had a few probs transferring word docs over, some went into recovery mode but nothing was lost and all recoveries were successful.
I have been converted, at last.
Thanks to all who give advice on this site and the patience you obviously show!!
Mike

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33

One thing that always turned me off from Ubuntu (besides Gnome) was the ugly orange standard theme it uses.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@jonmcc33 you can change the themes and you can make your own if you wanted to :)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

i hate the orange/brown look too, jon. the first thing i do it change the look:

http://s426.photobucket.com/al.....ktop_1.jpg

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33

@jack7h3r1pp3r, I know you can change the theme but the most popular Linux distro should have a theme worth looking at to begin with. You know, like how well OpenSUSE looks from the start? ;-)

@0zSpitt, I really dislike the Compiz Fusion 3D cube quite a bit. :-P

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

jon, it doesn't have cube caps in the new update, i don't use it anymore. im actually getting bored with ubuntu even with the updated version. ill try mythbuntu next. it seems like a challenge

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

A black screen with a couple of icons is all the theme one needs.
The Power of the machine is in H/W and S/W; NOT in the background picture. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33

@raphoenix, in that case why not just use a command line 24/7?

The power might be the hardware and software (applications) but the user interface is what can make or break an OS. I hate the UI of Gnome with a PASSION. I found KDE to be 10X better and that's why OpenSUSE was so much more pleasing to work with.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@Jon,

You are right about making or breaking an O/S.
I think B. Gates is the one who said something to the effect that if you can't make it right, make it look good.
I like the looks of KDE better than Gnome and agree, if Linux is to ever really fly, it needs (2) things out of the box with the younger generation.
(1) Drivers for everything which are easy to install.
(2) A Pretty GUI.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.