The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid Ibex)

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by catlover44
  • Latest reply from catlover44
  • Topic Viewed 2045 times

catlover44

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) onto my Western Digital External hard drive (1TB) that i recently have gotten and then i found out that on my computer the XP boot loader was disabled and the Ubuntu GRUB boot loader took it's place, but then I found that I couldn't boot into windows unless my hard drive was plugged in to the computer and it takes up the power plug which the printer uses. I have already enabled the XP boot loader again using FixMbr, but then when I try to boot from my hard drive it says:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

If I boot from the computer's internal drive, it just goes straight to xp, like it should.

I saw the page http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=14 just before and i saw that to fix this problem you put 2 different files (can't remember what they were called) into the root directory. What if you can't get into the ubuntu ext3 partition because windows doesn't know what the partition file system is? Where do you put the files? Do you boot off the live cd of ubuntu, mount the hard drive and then drop them where ubuntu is, or do it from windows and drop it in the unpartitioned space?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Moorley

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

How did you install Ubuntu on the drive? I think you need to do a special install for an external drive. The normal method will not work.

Posted 5 years ago

Krish

Basic Causes for NLTDR.com errors are:-

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
6. New hard disk drive being added.
7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
8. Seriously corrupted version of W indows 2000 or Windows XP.
9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

In your case basically you installed Ubuntu in your external hdd but due to misconfiguration during installation ubuntu wrote the grub bootloader to your system drive ( or MBR) . so the boot information in stored in your external drive and when computer boots up , bios searches for active primary partition with MBR and since you have installed MBR in ,external hardrive it cannot find the boot information from your internal drive as it has been deleted by ubuntu. Now you need to restore your MBR via following methods

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Hopefully this works for you, !!

Posted 5 years ago

catlover44

Ok.

I installed Ubuntu normally and that would have put the bootloader onto my system drive right?

the other thing is that I have 3 XP installation disks, the one that came with our computer, xp home and xp pro, all of which are SP2 with IE6. Our computer runs SP3 with IE7. that would mean that if i repaired the xp installation on my system drive, then it would probably get rid of all the windows updates that our computer. anyway, i have already fixed the bootloader back to the normal xp one with a nifty little command line program called "MbrFix".

Would you be able to help me with how to install Ubuntu 8.10 onto my external drive without the bootloader going onto my system drive please?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!