How-To Geek Forums / Linux

ubuntu

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by abhs94
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1030 times

abhs94
abhs94

i am sorry for my unending ubuntu questions but..... Now i have a Dell system with two Active Partitions, a media direct partition, and a default dell utility drive. I want to install ubuntu and will do that in the media direct partition. But ubuntu also requires a 256 MB swap partition. So there is a need to remove 1 drive. I am interested in removing the utility partition but soogle results have shown that that might result into boot problems. suggestions please

Posted 5 years ago

Ubuntero31
Ubuntero31

Hi Abhs94,

There's no need to remove one of the two harddisk drives. Here is a how-to (including screen shots), how to partition you harddisks:

HTH.

Posted 5 years ago

abhs94
abhs94

actually i would parition but i need two drives for data and 1 partition remains for dell while only 1 is left

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I have a few questions:
1. Is your Dell a laptop or a desktop? If it's a laptop then you may want to keep the DellDirect partition as it lets you watch things like DVDs without booting your normal Windows install. Helpful if you wanted to watch a DVD on a plane or something without any other programs bugging you and taking battery life.

2. Did you have reinstall discs for Windows? If so then removing the recovery partition shouldn't be a problem but if you don't have discs then it could be.

Also I think Ubuntu maybe able to use an Extended Partition with logical partitions. Which if it does then you could make one of the 4 primary partitions an extended partition which can hold as many logical partitions as you want.
I'll check on this and reply with what I find.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

jd2066 is correct in his assessment of extended and logical partitions.

Posted 5 years ago

abhs94
abhs94

alright then.... i'll check with that.
but i wud like somone to tell me the exact procedure as i m novice in ubuntu

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I should be able to tell you how to do that. It would help though if you could answer the following questions:
1. What is the computer's Service Tag?
2. Do you have reinstall discs for Windows?
3. Do you have Dell MediaDirect installed and do you use it?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!