The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

UAC Windows 7

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lfcdavem
  • Latest reply from afuhnk
  • Topic Viewed 364 times

lfcdavem

Hi guys, I have come here for answers before and always been very successful in finding a solution however I can find nothing to help me with regards to this latest issue so thought for once I would make a post and hope you could help me??
A school near us recently got shutdown and sold off all their computer equipment. I brought 2 laptops and was given the password to get through the web-based security company they were using so the internet would be successfully used. The problem I am facing is that there is a UAC admin password in place that I wasn't told the password to and I cant download anything onto the computer or even make any changes to user accounts etc. Please help me to take back control of my new laptops??? They are both using Windows 7. thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Use this procedure to blank out the Administrator password. How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD

Posted 1 year ago

lfcdavem

excellent I'll give that a go and get back to you with the results. Thank you very much :D

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

If I were you I'd simply reinstall Windows, either using the built-in factory restore (make and model would help us telling you how to do it) or using a Windows 7 disc (provided the Windows sticker with activation code is still visible - usually under the laptop or under the battery).

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

can you access the control panel and see the names of the users?
It seems that the current user is not an administrator at all.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

You may want to just do a clean install of Windows 7 since the computers were owned by another person. That way you can also configure EVERYTHING from the start the way YOU want it, not the way the school configured it. I know schools limit a lot of what you can do with computers.

This is a good tutorial on how to do a clean install:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

EDIT:
afuhnk beat me to it.

Posted 1 year ago

lfcdavem

much appreciated guys am looking into 1st suggestion at the moment as to do a whole system format I would need to find all the drivers needed and don't have the stuff to do that. <--- not up to date with computers and a little out of my depth but you only learn by doing so time to give myself a refresher :D

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

What is the model number for your computer? It should be on a sticker on the bottom

For example my laptop says:

PRODUCT: Presario V6000
s/n: CNF72425KN
p/n: GA395UA#ABA
V6444US

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Well, if the recovery partition is still on the hard disc, you will not need drivers as they will be there once it's done.
Once the recovery is done, Windows Update will take care of most updates and to get the newer drivers you can download them from the laptop's driver page.

If the recovery partition is missing then you will want to get drivers, again from the laptop's driver page. Ideally before you format / reinstall. At least the wired / wireless ones so that you can have access to the web and perform updates, get drivers etc.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.