The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - UAC Notice on Start Up program

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by dennisthemenace
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 714 times

dennisthemenace

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed the software Search Everything. Very nice and finds files much quicker than the windows search. I have it set up to start whenever I log on. When it starts the UAC prompt always pops up and requires that I click to continue. I do not want to completely stop UAC but I would like to get rid of the prompt every time I start my system. None of the other start up programs seem to have this problem. Is there a way to disable UAC for start ups or some how run them with administrator privileges?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Right click on the SE shortcut, select Properties > Advanced. And set it to always run as Administrator. That work ?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I'm not sure you can stop that prompt? If a program wants to run as Administrator on start up, that is exactly what you get. I had one that did that and never was able to by-pass it. Developer told me he couldn't get around it.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

ispalten

Those links run it as a scheduled task, which can work, but the user has to create the task. When you have a situation where there is a loading order though it gets tougher to do. By loading order I mean an app loaded into memory before another can be used or another task. May not be impossible to work out, but it can present some situations where this doesn't work.

I consider the creating of a scheduled task with a trigger of at boot actually to be a security risk. I hacker can put something on your system and you'd never see the UAC prompt.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Irv, I agree. But I don't ever use UAC, and don't have a fraction of the problems that other members do that use it.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.