The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Two hard drives on Aspire Laptop

(17 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Cheyalayna
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 12017 times

Cheyalayna

I have an aspire laptop. It says that I have two hard drives. For some reason I can't access the second one, and my first one is so full I can't even defrag. How do I fix this? I really need the hard drive space, I use the laptop for a home business. Thanx.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Please post the model number of your laptop so we can check. 2 hard drives in a laptop I have never seen - but that does not mean that it does not exist. Maybe what was meant is that you have 2 disk partitions.
One option you have now is to move some of your lesser used files to an external disk. I would recommend a USB powered model (they sell for $50 to $100). That is more practical with a laptop. You may even use a large (16 or 32GB) USB stick. But those are expensive given their limited storage capacity.

Posted 6 years ago

MrMac

The first thing I would think is it came preinstalled with the operating system and it had two partitions. One for the system files, and one to put whatever you want in it. How big are they both? Also, you can go into the BIOS and check what hard drives are in there.

Posted 6 years ago

Cheyalayna

I read up on the laptop manual, and it actually has two hard drives. Can anyone tell me how to access the second one?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Cheyalayna,

You didn't give Machine Model Number so only can assume the hard drives are configured in Raid 0 or raid 0+1 configuration as (1) hard drive.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Cheyalayna, the Aspire 9800 laptop comes with two physical hard drives, but they are configured in a RAID 0 set. The first and second drive are accessed at the same time which provides more speed. On the Aspire 9800, for example, the two 120 GB hard drives act together as if they were one 240 GB drive. Defragging will not give you more space. As WHS suggests, you should use another type of storage to move files off of the Aspire to make room. An external hard drive would be ideal for this purpose.

To see what drives are in the system, try this:
* Press and hold the Windows key and R (Win+R) to open a run box
* Type "msinfo32" in the run box, then press the Enter key
* Expand the section "Components" by clicking on the + sign to the left of it
* Expand "Storage" under Components
* Select "Disks" by clicking on the word

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Rick P., you have once again mentioned RAID 0+1 as if it were possible to implement with only 2 drives. However, RAID 0+1 still requires a minimum of 4 drives. Please stop spreading this misinformation before it confuses someone who is new to RAID setups.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@Scott,

Gosh; I mis-typed by mistake and should have typed in raid 1.
What can I ever do to thank you from stopping me from spreading misinformation with a typo.
Am sure millions will gratified that you caught the typing error before they were misled.
Think I'll stop the post here as you will ask my reply be bemoved as you always do. (lol) (lol) (lol)
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Rick P., sorry if this time was just a typo. I thought you were still confusing the RAID numbers as in this previous thread where you used RAID 10 incorrectly. I corrected you that time, but you didn't edit your post. I wish we had that edit feature now so you could correct the post above and I could delete mine.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@scott,

Yes the Edit feature is very short now.
As you and I both know, I've been using raid on real raid controls and such for many, many years.
If one follows my postings, they will see many, typo errors and left out words, etc. due to Agent Orange Peripheral Neuorapthy in my hands and fingers. Thank goodness for spell checking as some of my posts would be almost unreadable :) :)
No issues for us to be concerned about.
Our above postings will float off the main page by tomorrow. :) :)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Cheyalayna

Well thank you both for your asisstance... I think. I have the aspire 3000. It says I have two drives. Both with 23GB. When I do a disc cleanup it asks me which one I want to clean. The first one, as I said, is full. The second one, it says is completely empty. I would just like to know how to evenly use both hard drives. Thanx again.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Cheyalayna, from what I can see, the Aspire 3000 is a budget laptop and very portable. As such, it's too small to hold two hard drives so I think that's highly unlikely. Still the only way to be sure is to run the System Information tool as I described above. Once you have the information displayed, press Ctrl-A to select all of it, Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard. Make a new post in this thread and paste the text here with Ctrl-V so we can take a look at it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Cheyalayna,
Please wait just a minute.
Do (2) Hards Drives show in Disk Management Screen ??
When you Right Click My Computer>>Explore; do you see (2) Hard Drives ??
Have you tried to copy a picture or some non-system file to the Second Hard Drive ??
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Cheyalayna

This is the info the system tool gave me. although im computer illiterate i think it says that my hard drive has two partitions. If this is the case how do I access my extra space? Thanx for all ur help!!

Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model IC25N060ATMR04-0
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk media
Partitions 3
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 0
SCSI Target ID 0
Sectors/Track 63
Size 55.89 GB (60,011,642,880 bytes)
Total Cylinders 7,296
Total Sectors 117,210,240
Total Tracks 1,860,480
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 2.93 GB (3,150,249,984 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size 26.39 GB (28,336,089,600 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 3,150,282,240 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #2
Partition Size 26.57 GB (28,525,271,040 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 31,486,371,840 bytes

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Cheyalayna, that's good information. We can see here that you have a Hitachi hard drive of about 60 GB. There are three partitions, 0, 1, and 2. Partition 0 is small at 3 GB so it's probably a recovery partition. The other two partitions are around 26 GB. One of them is your C: drive and the other would usually be assigned another letter, such as the D: drive. Do you see a D: drive in "My Computer"?

I expect that you are not seeing D: or any second hard drive partition. The next place to check is in Disk Management:
* Press and hold the Windows key and R (Win+R) to open a Run box
* Type "diskmgmt.msc" in the Run box, then press the Enter key

This brings up Disk Management which shows all of the partitions in a list in the top pane and in a graph in the bottom pane. You should definitely see your C: partition on the list with a Status of "Healthy (system, boot, active,...)". Please list the other partitions and their status. My suspicion is that the other 23 or 26 GB partition is available but maybe not formatted or maybe not assigned a drive letter. Once you have access to it, you will have more space for your files.

Posted 5 years ago

Cheyalayna

It shows (C:) Healthy (system)
then (D:) Healthy
then PQSERVICE Healthy (EISA Configuration)

now i realized that when I click on MY PICTURES it says that its pulling it from D but i guess i dont understand why C is sooo full that I cant even defrag and D is empty. If I have access to it, why can't I use some of the free space on D or why isn't it just being used? I'm not too smart when it comes to computers :(

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Cheyalayna, if the user never specifies use of the D: drive, Windows will just keep everything on C:. It's best to keep Windows files on C:, but applications can be installed to D: and data can be stored on D:. If your My Documents folder has the bulk of your files, follow these instructions from Microsoft to move this folder to the D: drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310147

Be sure to use the section that says "Move" so the files that are there will be relocated to the D: drive. Another useful tool you can use is WinDirStat to find out which folders are taking up a lot of space and would be candidates for moving to D:
http://windirstat.info/

As for defragmenting, Windows can't do it if the drive is more than 85% full. You should reduce your C: drive below this mark and then Windows will defrag it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.