SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - tweak windows 7 for integrated graphics?

(10 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by MrAaron84
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 4582 times

MrAaron84

hello everyone,
i had a question for you all if anyone can help
my laptop has an integrated graphics chip by intel (i know its not the best lol), and it has 256MB of shared memory and no dedicated memory...
and i also have windows 7 ultimate (64-bit) running on this machine...
from what i have read, a lot of features put into windows 7 basically was meant for desktop users, or those with video cards with dedicated memory... and i say this because they have it configured to take more memory for visual effects and such from your graphics cards than previous versions of windows that just used your system RAM for that purpose.
so i dont think windows 7 was at all designed for users like myself who have an integrated graphics chip
anyways, i would like to know if there are any tweaks out there that i can do for windows 7 to perform better on my laptop?
thanks!
btw... outside my intel graphics, this machine has an intel centrino core 2 duo 2.0GHz processor and 4GB of RAM

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

MrAaron hi. I am on Vista at the moment, but I think this is the same for W7.
Start search, enter system > Advanced system settings > Advanced > (Performance) Settings... >Visual Effects.
Uncheck as many boxes as you can, whilst keeping a nice looking screen. Takes some playing around with.

Posted 3 years ago

TheEldergeek
TheEldergeek

Turning off the Aero desktop feature will be your biggest gain.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 3 years ago

MrAaron84

thanks, yeah i do usually turn off all my visual affects if i want the biggest gain...
i actually posted this question to see if their was something further i could do short of buying a new laptop lol
i mean i have done a lot of stuff to tweak my system, but i do notice any programs using 3D run smoother in my XP partition than in windows 7 (i have 2 partitions which i didnt mention in the OP, xp and 7) and i more or less have them configured the same as far as i know

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

You can disable as many services as possible. Here is an excellent guide,
http://www.blackviper.com/

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

When you are in Windows7 and have a 3D program running open the taksbar and click on your Performance & Resource tabs and compare the CPU & Memory then do the same whan you are XP with the same 3D program running. From ther you might get a better handle on tweaking your system in.

Posted 3 years ago

MrAaron84

yeah i used the black viper guide and it helps,
i also took it a step further and disabled some windows features i didnt need...

btw im playing trackmania to see if i get lag or not, so far ive been successfull in not getting the message "your settings are not at optimized level" or whatever it says when it detects lag
and it plays smoothly in xp and 7 now

one of these days i might write a guide with all the tweaking ive done lol
if anybody comes up with another idea feel free to contribute, for now im ok :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

I don't play games, but have you tried running them in Safe Mode ?

Posted 3 years ago

MrAaron84

i dont think that would work, i thought of it too lol
cause safe mode pretty much disables everything but your basic drivers to get your os running...
or at least from what i remember...

oooh and i just remembered why games wouldnt work, i think safe mode turns off direct 3d and stuff like that you would need in order to play the game... cause i remember last time i had my computer in safe mode and the 3d text screensaver tried to come on it had a message about needing a direct 3d compatible video card or something, but it was cause that feature was disbled in safe mode.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Oh yes, my bad. Another couple of general things to do, are, if you don't use an external monitor, disable TMM. And disable all indexing of drives.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!