How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

TV , Internet survey (USA.)

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by warlock
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 794 times

whs
whs

Joe, I just don't watch TV in the US. In Germany I do. There I have 350 channels from a dozen countries for 20 Euros - and about 100 channels are commercial free. In the US, I use the internet.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I understand, just trying to reduce my bill in the states. I got fast internet. Haven't seen a buffering for a long time. No problem with that. Need to chop down my TV. bill in the states. What are you using for the internet while in the states?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I have ATT for phone (basic - no free long distance) and DSL also. For long distance I use VOIP on the Nexus 7. It's free in the US and 2 Cents/min. to Europe.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Joe,

i know that i'm late on this but we have time warner for the internet and DirecTV for tv which i pay around $100 bucks and about 50 for internet. i hate DSL the speeds are almost as bad as dailup and i made a pac with myself that i would never go back.

John

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

John, DSL can be as fast as you can afford. My son in Germany has DSL 56.000 on a glass linee. But even on copper lines you can get DSL 16.000 which is pretty fast.

Paying $100 for TV to have the priviledge to watch commercials is insane. They should be paying you for watching that junk. And $50 for internet is pretty steep too.

Posted 1 year ago

Sarris
Sarris

I use Brighthouse Networks Tampa Bay.

I get home phone, cable TV (2 boxes+ 1 DVR, & Showtime), Roadrunner Hi-Speed Cable @ 60 mbps DL & 5 mbps UL. Speedtest.net typically shows 69.90 & 5.95.

They've provided great service & equipment. I've had no problems other than an occasional outage.

The downside, $165/mo.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Friends of mine (neighbors) just switched from Brighthouse Networks Tampa Bay to ATT for their internet because of the high price of Brighthouse Networks Tampa Bay. They are just as happy with ATT for a much lower bill.

Posted 1 year ago

Sarris
Sarris

I'm pretty sure it would be Verizon, as we don't have ATT in my area. Verizon has been very unreliable in my area, hence BHNTB.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

We are north of Tampa and have ATT.

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Whs,

Yeah your right about the TV bill it's higher than what it needs to be but i am a big wrestling fan (ducking and running or in my case rolling lol) it is hard to find wwe or tna online with out having the usa network or spike available so that's why i do it that way.

John

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

warlock, can you possibly go with an antenna like vistual is trying to do?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

No, not feasible at all, cliff type hillside on East side of house blocks TV signals. I appreciate everyones answers here. But, when all information you've given me is sorted. My price for what I get is in line with what others are paying. There are exceptions, xhi and whs suggestions but, if I want the channels I get and the internet I have I'm stuck with the pricing for now. Thanks.

Edit: not marking as solved yet though just in case:)

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Well, we'll will keep working on it!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Me too, have to check with some others living in my area. Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Too bad that Satellite TV costs money around the US. In Germany it's free. All you pay for is the equipment. And the antennas nowadays are really small - less than 12". Many people have them on their travel trailers. Some adjust automatically to the satellite you want to watch - there are half a dozen different satellites. You can get hundreds of programs - and for free and many are commercial free. It's good if you know languages because they come from all kinds of countries.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual
vistual

im at $50 bucks for internet and cable (just basic channels). have to say im happy over all with performance.

i ditched phone. use voip now. would have ditched cable too but they gave me a last minute 'deal' LOL! ....
when i called to cancel the service they said i could downgrade the cable service and keep the basic going with the internet for $50, as opposed to just the internet for $49.99 ?!?!?!
savings of a little over $70. minus $8 bucks for netflix, minus around $6 bucks for prime (amazon) still a little over / 'round $50 bucks back in my pocket.

as far as speed - they're fine by me ...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!