How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

TV , Internet survey (USA.)

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by warlock
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 794 times

warlock
warlock

Right to the point. I have Comcast Infinity TV and internet, no home phone. The service is excellent but has increased dramatically in price. Would like to know what you are using, and your feedback as to service and value. I know your service might not be available to me but, if it is I would possibly consider it providing I get positive results from you.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Who is your telcom? If you don't want phone service but only want their lines for DSL, they're required to offer what's known as "naked DSL". They won't advertise it, you'll have to ask specifically for it. For TV, we're with Dish Network. Wife watches primarily HGTV & Food Network, I don't watch TV except during college football & NASCAR seasons.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@doctordeere, Thanks for answering. Have no phone lines to the house anymore were removed years ago. Use only a cell phone now. Dish Network was mentioned to me by a friend and said it worked good for him for TV. He is using Earthlink for internet, not convinced that the service is good enough though. NASCAR is important here as is Speed channel.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

If you ditch cable and have no POTS lines, have you checked into WiMax or MiFi?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

No, but will do that tomorrow. That's what I am looking for suggestions. Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Possibly of interest...

http://www.laptopmag.com/revie.....5510l.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I have tried them all. I have had Dish, Cable and DirectTV. My choice is DirectTV. I have had dial-up, RF (line of site to radio tower), Satellite, Cable and DSL. My choice is DSL. Currently from the Century Link Phone company I have only DSL bundled with DirectTV for Internet and TV. Phone lines are two Magic Jacks ,l home and office ($15/year ea) and a TracFone (appx $100/yr.). These are all tied together through a single number at Google Voice (free). They all ring so I get calls no mater where I am. Text messages coming to Google Voice with a ring to my cell phone to notify allows me to use a regular keyboard and computer to answer them and no cell phone charges. I am very happy with my current setup. It's about as cheap and efficient as you can get.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

In my part of the South, companies are allowed to be monopolies so the Local Utility Company provides:

Electric Service
Gas Service
Water Service
Sewer Service
Internet Service
Cable TV Service
Phone Service
Phone (VOIP) Service
Cell Phone Service

If they see a dish or suspect something, they go up in price on all the other services they provide.
If one can't pay their total bill, then they cut off all services.
My state don't believe in government regulation on companys so I'm kinda stuck with what I've got.

I do manage to keep one Voice Line with AT&T and Two Dumb Cell Phones with Verizon which they don't know about.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Moved to the main forum, so more people will see it.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks for the answers, and the forum move LH. Seems like I will be stuck with what I have. No need for a home phone so Fios is out. Then I like my internet service so I want to keep Comcast for that. Will do some more checking with the the Comcast servce to possibly lower my TV. bill.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Interent service in the US is very expensive. In Germany I pay less than $20 (15.50 Euros) for DSL6000 - and they never raised it. In Florida I pay nearly the double for DSL3000. The problem is that there is not enough competition and there are quasi no consumer protection laws.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@whs, I pay $58.00 for the internet service. I think the TV is beating me up.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

warlock, I use verizon for phone, Direct TV and DSL internet and it's bundled. But I can get any one of the three with out the others.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@ronniesonora, They told me I need a home phone. If you would, what do you pay and are you happy with the service. I love my service and $58.00 for the internet is okay. It is the $99.00 for TV. that bothers me.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I got rid of the TV. Who wants to watch commercials all day long.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Got you on that but, still want it. What are you using in the states?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

warlock, My phone is $55.00, that's with unlimited long distance. Internet is $44.99 and TV is $116.00 with three HD's

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks ronnie, Your TV. is more than mine. That's where I am looking to save. I only have two CRT tvs. But, that's why I asked here for a survey.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

The TV should be cheaper for you since you don't have HD.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

That may be something to check into. I do pay for HD TV. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.