The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Tutorial: How To Set an Icon For A Drive

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by owen123
  • Latest reply from owen123
  • Topic Viewed 1645 times

owen123

Have you, ever wanted to choose an icon, to show on a USB drive, look no further. This is a quick and simple way to do it. Before you begin, select an icon, if you do not have an .ico file, then you can upload a .png to ConvertICO. This tutorial applies to Windows 7 / Vista & XP. Please Post if you have any problems, or my email is in my profile.

Step 1

Find your Icon, label it (without quotes) “ICON” and then move it to a drive.

Step 2

Open up a new notepad, and type the following:
[autorun]
Icon=ICON.ico

Step 3

Then save it to the same location as the ICON file, however change the save as type to “All Files” and the name to (Without quotes) “autorun.inf”

Step 4

Your Drive should now look a bit like this:

Now highlight both files, right click, properties, then select hidden, apply and OK.

Congratulations, you now should have finished and your drive should look a bit like this:

Any Problems post below, or drop an email (in profile)

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Owen, nice job.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Should both the icon & the autorun.inf files be placed in the ROOT of the drive in question?

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

autorun.inf should be at the root while the icon can be in a folder or subfolder provided the relative path is specified in icon entry (eg, icon=iconfolder\icon.ico)

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt

Thanks, G41M.

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

Hermitt, I would recommend having them at the root of the drive, and then having them hidden. Thanks G41M

Posted 2 years ago

larrysw

Thanks owen123! Always wanted to change the default icon on Volkswagen Bug image :)

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

No Probelm.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.