(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from mickeyblue
  • Topic Viewed 13281 times

whs

">

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

whs, I downloaded Sun Virtual Box, but I can't get it installed. When trying to install, I get this message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance." I had a problem uninstalling a program a week ago, getting the same message. ScottW provided a link to a page that gives instructions on starting the Windows Installer Service. It worked perfectly and my problem was solved. Since I'm getting the identical message with this problem I used the same instructions, but this time it didn't work. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Hmm, not sure. Try this: type SERVICES.MSC into the start/search field and hit ENTER. When you get to the services window after prompts, go to WINDOWS INSTALLER and highlight it. Then go to the top of the left pane and click "START the service". If that does not do anything, right click on it, go to Properties and set it to "automatic". Not sure whether that will help in your situation, but it is worth a try.

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

Nope, no luck. Thanks for the idea though!

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Too bad. Did you try to repair with the System File Checker?

Posted 5 years ago

rosakw

Yes, did the System File Checker. Still not installing. This might sound dumb, but is it possible to uninstall, then reinstall Windows Installer? The message says it could be that it hasn't been installed correctly.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

try to gt the latest version from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

Umm, I just had an idea, but don't know if it will work. First thing I need to know is: would it be possible to run Windows98SE in a virtual partition on a Vista machine (or Win 7 machine) ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Should be possible. Use virtual Box from Sun. If you have the .iso on your system, that would be easiest. But it should also work with the installation CD.

Posted 5 years ago

algotechie

Hi whs

Please have a look at this problem:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2

I think you have experience working with Virtual Box. I'm new to it. Thanks for your time.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Have a look at your post.

Posted 5 years ago

mickeyblue

hey WHS, i have just installed XP using sunbox as per your tutorial (awesome btw) now i have one problem, i want to install programs from my external HD onto XP, but in XP it wont recognize my USB ports, im sure im not doing something right probably, can you explain how to do it? if you have already in the tutorial in sorry but i missed it. thanks

Posted 4 years ago

whs

I have to do this by memory because I do not have any vBox around at this time. Anyhow, after you started vBox but BEFORE you start any virtual partition, you have to make the settings. In the right pane of the vBox control window you see stuff like "Systen" , "Disks" and further down "USB". Double click on USB and then you see on the right side Icons like little USB sticks. I think the second down from the top is the one where you can open the USB ports. Just make sure your disk is on-line at that time. Else it cannot "see" it. Just add that port and then click OK (or maybe there is even an APPLY - I don't quite remember) Hope that works. I found it to work best with USB sticks. I used a 16GB USB stick to move data back and forth. You can also easily share the public folders between Vista and vBox. Just make the right sharing settings on both sides - the details escape me right now.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue

thanks WHS, you the man. works great.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.