How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Tutorial: creating custom foldericons with PaintNET

(20 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from ppaine
  • Topic Viewed 2629 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

As a sequel to this tutorial now a little tutorial on how to use PaintNET to create custom foldericons.

PaintNET is free and supports layers and is an amazingly good program. I've been working on it for about ten minutes to create this tutorial and everything was easy to find and pretty selfexplationary (well, if you're used to working with paintprograms anyway <LOL LOL LOL>).
I like it a lot better then for example The Gimp.
The only thing I couldn't find at first glance is how to add shadow to a layer.
The option might be there, but I didn't see it.
But there is a forum where there are also tons of plugins for download to expand the possibilities of this great app, so maybe there's a plugin that will do that or they can tell you where to find it :)

Here we go:

And here's the end result in png:

I've used the icon from the program itself. Thought that was pretty suitable :)
And I will be using it to place the files I create or edit with PaintNET in this folder <LOL>.

Enjoy!

Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

paint.net is awesome. i've found most of the add-ons i need and even created a few frame by frame animations for my youtube channel with it. nice job sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

totally sold on this program - dont know why i waited so long to finally give it a try - ive used it now for about 1 - 2 months - pretty awesome!
Sarah OR at0mic please update as to the location or existence of a shadow plug-in 'cause i was hoping for the same thing just the other day too!
thanks again for the post S.J.

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

in paint.net go up to "help" and click on plug-ins. you can spend days in there

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - I don't have the time to spend days, so I'll wait till one of you adds the best pluginlinks here ;)

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

i dont know which are best, i've only installed the ones i need or thought were cool looking. but here are two animated videos i made using paint.net, sqirlz morph (thanks whs), windows movie maker, and sony vegas studio, just to tie it all together

Riri

Pink Floyd - Dogs

NOTE: i'm a complete newb at making videos

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

when i first started to use Paint.net, one of the first things i needed to be able to do was adjust the transparency of a few things so i went looking for a transparency plug-in - found it here :)

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

I registered just to say you are FULLY AWESOME!!! *mimics Rhino*

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL ppaine :) Thanks and welcome to HTG.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Haha, thanks ^-^

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Okies, I've got a lil question if I may, is there a tutorial on HTG for creating the actual front and back layers? I've search a bit, maybe I'm using the wrong wild cards?

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

No sorry, there isn't a tutorial, but you can use the png's posted in the other tutorial.

Is there anything particular you want? Maybe I can help you out :)

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Kinda snitched those like hours ago, and started using them, lol. Well what I was trying to do is change the color of the layers, I found a post on deviantART by Z08-Styles, hope it's alright I link that, his blue folders, something like that.

Oh, btw... this was the first thingie I made, well started, I'm still contemplating the shadow effect, for my writings and the such.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Lovely!

In Paintshop Pro I changed the hue on those two files and made me a collection of different coloured folders.
You can download them here.

I love those blue folders :) I wonder how he made them so exactly like the Vista original ones ...

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Haha, me too, I think I'll ask him. I'll keep you posted if I get any feedback. Take care =)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Haha, I already created an account with DeviantArt just so I could contact him <LOL>.
In one of the comments someone talks about a psd-file and he responded that they should PM him.
So I thought I'd give it a try.
Haven't heard back yet.

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Dang, a week past already?! Lol, had some PC issues, you know how it is. Any luck?

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Oh, btw, in case you didn't find out how to send a private message. Um yeah, googled it, sadly I didn't know either and I've been on dA for a while. "You have to go onto someones page to send them a message :) Either that or you can send a note....which is a private message only you and the person you sent it to can view." At least I hope that's right, lol.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I posted on the site itself ánd I send him a note but so far I haven't heard back.
Will post here if he does contact me, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it :S

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

Haha, same here I guess. I'm gonna get some breakfast. Have a great day/night. =)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!