How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Tutorial: creating custom folder icons

(17 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from alexsc29
  • Topic Viewed 15081 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

A lot of people like the feature that a folder displays an image of what is inside the folder, but that means you have to keep an image called folder.jpg in the folder.
Another way to go about it is to use a specific icon for the folder. BĂșt we like it that the image sticks out of the folder, don't we?
Like this:

or

So here is what we need:

The program IcoFX
I won't go into how it works since the website has it's own section of tutorials and there's no use in reinventing the wheel :)

and empty folder icons:

But - you can't stick images in that stick out ...

To do that you'll need the front and the backside of the folder on different layers.
Here they are:

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

These are all png images with transparency, so you can go ahead and grab them and use them :)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Well, if you want to make a folder for winter images, you might want to have this one sticking out of your folder:

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

You can use IcoFX to create first an icon of the background, then open another image and past that over it and then paste the frontside over it, but I find it very difficult to get the transparency right, so you might want to use an image editor for this one.
I use Paintshop Pro, but the Gimp is a free program that also supports layers as well as PhotoFiltre Studio (not free, but very affordable and has a trial period) and there are others that don't come to mind right now (I'll add them later when I find them :D).

What you do is create an image of 256x256 pixels with transparency.
Paste in the backside of the folder.
Then paste in the image you want inside as a second layer.
And as third layer you add the frontside of the folder.
Save it all as png and use IcoFX to convert it to an icon.

Here's the example png:

Posted 4 years ago

Scott
Scott

Sweet !
Thank you Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - it hasn't turned out as much of a tutorial, more like a collection of materials needed to get the job done:)
I'll keep an eye out for a good freeware program that supports layers or at least transparency.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, took another look at The Gimp. There is GimpShop which has a more Photoshop look to it.
I still couldn't find all the tools I use in Paintshop Pro, but this is a really good program with full layer support, transparency etc. etc.
Works perfectly and it is free :)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

For more tutorials on icons you can take a look here:

Creating an icl

Changing Foldericons using an icl

Using Folder Marker Home

3D Text Commander can be used for creating nice icons

How to change all your systemfolders to green glass ones This is not really a tutorial, so you'll have to read along a bit :)

And while we're at it, this is nice too:

Creating custom cursors

Edit: one more link - how to create these foldericons with PaintNET you can read here.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ The Geek and Mods,
---
Suggest that this Tutorial by SarahJames should be placed in the Official HowTo Category with extraneous postings like this one removed.
---
Sarah has put forth much work, time and effort into beautiful GUI customizations which many, many members of HTG do appreciate so much.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

Good Effort. I haven't really bothered too much about the folder views, but now it has created interest in me. This post is on my Favorite list!!

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

<sweet smile>

Thanks, guys :)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Note: I recently edited some cursors I ran across on Tinyhacker (lost the llink:( ) and noticed AniFX, the cursoreditor that's "IcoFX' twin" as they call it <LOL>, supports copying transparent layers so the same should be possible in IcoFX. I just haven't had the time to mess around with it.

Posted 4 years ago

Odeho19
Odeho19

@ Sarah, Have you looked @ Paint.NET, and the possibilities it has for what you're trying to accomplish? I ask this because IMHO it's a great image editor application for things other than just .png files. I use it for photographs, and any type of image editing I need. And the layer effects you speak of here are DEFINITELY covered there, and they have some wonderful tuts that I think you might enjoy!

But the layers effects are an extremely simple process with Paint.NET (PDN, as they like to call it). It's just a matter of importing your "targets" onto each other, clicking on the "merge" button, and you're done. But if you take some time with this program, I think you'll really enjoy the possibilities it possess, as I have seen them as endless......

Just a thought.

Odean

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks, Odean :)
I myself work with Paintshop Pro, so I don't need another, it was just that people who don't have such a program could find a free alternative.
Good to know Paint.NET works with layers. Looks like you have provided us with the freeware option we were looking for! <LOL>

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Edit: I just gave PaintNET a try. It is a really nice app and I've added a little tutorial on how to use it for creating folders here.

Posted 4 years ago

ppaine
ppaine

FULLY Awesome! lol

Posted 4 years ago

alexsc29

great tutorials, thanks SarahJames

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.