The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Turning All Folders to Glass in Windows 7

(18 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Moonlight
  • Latest reply from Moonlight
  • Topic Viewed 3314 times

Moonlight

I've read SarahJames' wonderful tutorials about creating an icon library using IcoFX Tutorial 1, changing your foldericons, using an *.icl Tutorial 2, and using FolderMarker Home and IcoFX to turn folders to glass in Vista. Tutorial 3

I am wondering if this will work in Windows 7, also. I've just installed Windows 7 Ultimate, and I don't want to do anything that wouldn't be compatible with the newer system. Thank you.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Gail,

So far I haven't found a reason why it shouldn't work, but I'm getting 7 back on my pc (long story ;D) and when I'm done I will give it a try.
If anybody else uses 7 and wants to give it a try before I'm done, please chime in ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Thank you, Sarah. Your glass folders are beautiful! I'm sorry you 'lost' 7. Sometimes, these computers seem to have a contrary nature.

I don't mind purchasing the Home Version of Folder Marker. I'm not all that computer literate, and if a program will do something correctly that I might mess up myself, it's worth the purchase. :-)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Edit: restoring 7 won't work the way I had hoped, so I won't be able to test this. But hang on - I'm sure we can find someone with 7 who has tried this already or is willing to give it a go:)

If you want to give it a go yourself, but are afraid to mess things up, you can use Macrium Reflect to create an image of your system before you start, so you can get back to a perfect before state if it might not work out for you;)
Btw - it is a good idea to create an image of your working system at regular intervals. System Restore can do a lot for you, but there is nothing as safe as a good image you can restore and be rid of any problem you might have picked up along the way.
Here is a tutorial on how to install and use.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - you posted while I was writing :)

I've tried the free version (and nearly lost my Home version in the process ... LOL) and it also works with icl files, so you can use the glass folder ones :)

Edit: losing 7 was my own doing;)

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

Sarah, you ready to make a go with 7 again, huh...??;)

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

A well timed suggestion, Sarah. Macrium Reflect will definitely take priorty over making Win 7 "pretty". I'll follow your link and do that first, and check back here later. I appreciate your time and assistance.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

You're very welcome, Gail!
I've recently started using Macrium Reflect and was surprised at how easy and fast it is.
Make sure you safe your images on a different drive:)

Edit: Nikhil - see Off Topic ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

One small question.... how does one follow a tutorial while the back up is running? Don't all windows need to be closed while backing up? (I told you I was not too computer literate...)

Your penguin is a joy to watch!

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ummm, that is one thing I don't know for sure.
It depends on the size of your HDD how long the backup takes. I found Macrium to be very fast, so I do the dishes and let it run in the meantime ;)
But in fact with the new methods (because it takes a snapshot) it should not be so bad if you use the computer while it is running. Though I prefer to leave things alone.
Better safe then sorry;)

Pretty happy penguin, huh? I'm not such a fan of penguins at all, but I really like this one:)

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Thanks, Sarah. I'll print out the tutorial page(s). I'm good at following directions, but terrible at doing things by the seat of my pants. Better to have directions right in front of me. :-)

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, post back if you run into any trouble or need a specific icon or so - always a nice distraction to work on <LOL>.
Merry christmas and enjoy ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Thank you, Merry Christmas to you, also!

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Hi Sarah ~ I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Where do I put my icon libraries (when I unzip them)? Right now, your Colors.zip file is in my Downloads folder. I have several zip files of icons that I downloaded from deviantart. I just don't know where I should keep all these icons, and/or icon libraries. I know that the system icons are in dll files in the system or system32 folder, but I don't think I want to throw anything extra in those folders and mess up the whole shebang. You must have a special folder on your computer where you keep your special icons /icon libraries. Can you tell me what you call it, and in what subfolder you put it? Thank you for all your assistance.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Okay, completely off topic here..... how do I keep Win 7 from grabbing my open window and maximizing it every time I move it too close to a side or the top of the screen? It doesn't lock it to the side, as mentioned on this Aero Snap page. It maximizes it, and I never maximize my pages, as I always have several open. Thanks, again.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Gail,

I had a pretty busy christmas:) Hope yours was great too!

If you use Folder Marker you can best place the icl files in it's icl folder. I have Folder Marker Home (found that out on checking LOL) and for me that folder is "C:\Program Files\Folder Marker\Icl\"

But there is one inconvenience when you chance the default icl's on Folder Marker --- it copies it's icl files to an Appdata folder and if you don't delete or replace the icl's there, you won't see any change.
For Folder Marker Home that folder is here: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\ArcticLine\Folder Marker\Icl\

If you have trouble browsing to folders in C:\Windows etc. you can use Freecommander, which is a handy program to have anyways :)

If you want to use more icl's you can use the Folder Marker Folder for that - if they are foldericons.
But if you want to change file icons, they are pretty useless in Folder Marker and it tkaes time for Folder Marker to load them, so I'd place those else where.
I just created a folder in C:\Program Files called 'Icons' (hehe, original huh?) and I drop any icons I want to use in there. I don't even put these in icl's, but keep them as ico's, because when you want to change the icon on a shortcut that is the easiest to browse to ;)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

And could you post that last question in a new topic please?

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Thank you, Sarah! I didn't know whether to make an Icons folder in Documents, Pictures, or somewhere else. I'll follow your lead and create a folder under Programs. That works for me.

I'll make a new topic for the second question. I was just afraid to clutter the board with too many question topics.... LOL!

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.