SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Turn off Windows Defender startup notification.

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mdvbilt
  • Latest reply from urbantreckker
  • Topic Viewed 1486 times

mdvbilt

Hi. I've been using AVG forever when it comes to my antivirus and spyware purposes. After messing around with some unknown button in TweakUI for Windows 7, I have somehow activated the brain of Windows Defender - it now loads its warning startup box every time I start windows. Just to follow through on instructions, I went to the Action Center and indeed, it clearly shows AVG as "on" and Windows Defender as "off" (when I told it to remain off).

How can I make this annoying startup screen disappear? Damn me for playing with tweaky settings, it rarely ends well. I have administrative control, it's Windows 7 sp1. Incidentally, as a bonus, RegEdit is having some kind of personal issue with loading the safety backup that I'd made. I'm not completely stupid, I'm just unlucky apparently.

Thanks much.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual

launch defender and ...
In Windows Defender click on “Tools”
Under Settings select “Options”
Scroll down to the very bottom, under Administrative options un-check “Use Windows Defender” by clicking on it
Hit “Save”
If UAC pops up enter your admin password and “Continue”

while at it - have a quick look in msconfig to see if its added itself there and untick it from the list just in case..

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

mdvbilt

Yeah, thanks, I already tried that. Twice. Thing kept coming up. Looked into msconfig, and it had checked itself - I unchecked it, rebooted, and the same screen came up informing me that I might want to turn it on.
Image at reboot

Immediately checked msconfig, and it was still unchecked... so I went to the fall back default fix and did a System Restore, which thankfully solved the problem.

Appreciate the input, though. A good lesson in why not to mess with the registry unless you really need to, I suppose.

Edited for clairity -- GMod

Posted 2 years ago

urbantreckker

HEY,don't blame yourself about the new pop up against all those supposed configuration fixes. They apparently don't work since the last wave of so called essential "important" windows 7 security updates. I hate it too and I haven't been tweaking much lately. My advice would be to do as I am currently trying to accomplish:try to determine EXACTLY WHICH OF THE PLETHORA OF UPDATE PACKAGES INCLUDED THE DEFENDER UPDATE AND UNINSTALL IT!
If I succeed I will update this post. My notices were always turned off along with Defender until this latest batch of updates. Now every start up I have to dismiss that annoying notification that Defender is turned off.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.