SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Turn off UAC for one or two applications only?

(17 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by pault42
  • Latest reply from pault42
  • Topic Viewed 8073 times

pault42

Greetings from a new member. I am not a power user like you but I thought perhaps I can find a good answer to my quest for a tool that can turn off UAC for one or two applications only?

I asked earlier in a very old post and I was advised by another member to "re-post on a new topic". I know how to turn off UAC completely but what I want to do is leave UAC on and only turn it off for one or two applications.

I saw some instructions in http://cybernetnews.com/2008/0.....plication/ but they are too complicated for me. Do you know of a tool that would do this for me?

Thanks.

Paul

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider
Seasider

I adhere to a minimalistic approach. If you can do something without installing more software why add to the clutter. If it's something you only need to do now and again, you know how to do it and it only takes a few moments I would keep doing it manually.

Harry

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hello pault42,

Like Harry says, I don't think adding software to so something like this will be an enhancement for you, apart from the fact I doubt there is any ;)

I myself have UAC turned off, so I can't test it for you, but I think it should be possible to rightclick the exe and choose properties.
In 'properties' there is a tab 'security'.
I think setting your username with full rights will bypass the UAC.

If you'd let us know what programms you're thinking about, maybe we could be of more help.

Posted 3 years ago

pault42

Harry, I agree with your approach but in my particular case it's not a solution. I run that application that triggers UAC frequently and my only recourse right now is lowering UAC settings for ALL applications.

Sarah, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work for me. What did I do wrong?

I don't have a specific program in mind, that's why I am asking here. If you know of something that could make my life easier (preferably free but I am willing to consider non-free) I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Paul

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pault42,

You are causing your own grief by using UAC and arguing with yourself. :) :)

Sarah is Correct.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

I would not turn the UAC off - no way. But here is an easy (although lengthy) tutorial how to disable the UAC prompts for selected programs: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....reate.html I have done that myself following this procedure and it works really well. Just patiently do the 24 steps. As a byproduct you might learn something.

Posted 3 years ago

pault42

Rick, why was the UAC created by Microsoft, then?

whs, thanks so much the tutorial but... you call this easy? Somewhere along the 24 steps I got lost. I think that my problem is that I am not as knowledgeable in computers as you are. Perhaps you can suggest a forum that is more suitable to a layman like me?

Thanks.

Paul

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pault42,

The official UAC answer is here and very long.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u.....56993.aspx

As the only user of my machine and being some what knowledgeable concerning security risks, I choose personally to Disable the UAC plus run the machine under the Built-in Administrator Account for [ My Own Convenience ].

This is a Hand Built Custom machine and I have hard Drive Image Backups plus other software tools I can use to recover from almost any situation.

I do [ NOT ] recommend my way of running a machine to others as they might have important data on their systems which is critical not to lose.

It is a more of a "Do as I Say; NOT as I Do" situation. ;)

Sometimes I "slip up" and make inappropriate postings, when I see others struggling and frustrated fighting their own computer systems while trying to get their work accomplished.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Paul, sorry we lost you along the 24 steps. It is a bit cumbersome, but where exactly did you get lost. Maybe we can clarify.

But Rick had a good point. If you are the only user of the system and do frequent imaging, you may get away with setting the UAC off. In addition I would suggest moving all your user data to a seperate partition. If you want to persue that route, let us know and we'll give you the detailed steps.

Here are 2 tutorials I made that you would use along those lines.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ition.html

PS: This is the layman's forum. On any other forum I know you would be showered with a lot more technicalities.

Posted 3 years ago

pandaSmore
pandaSmore

Wouldn't it be unsafe though to allow programs change settings on your computer without you knowing.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

You could put up guards to alert you, e.g. WinPatrol.

Posted 3 years ago

pault42

Folks, thank you all for your help. I am still lost. I gave up. If you do come across a tool that lets me do what whs described please let me know (you can email me privately or post the answer here).

Thanks.

Paul

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Paul, sorry. It's just one of those things you will have to do for yourself (as in the first link you posted). Sometimes there are no easy options.
It's a great way to learn tho :)
Just take it slow and easy, and don't panic.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Paul, in your situation, I would turn the UAC off AND do frequent imaging. I think that would suit you best. Plus the images can bail you out of all kinds of tight spots - not only virus situations. Take an image e.g. every 3d day (can be automatically scheduled) and you will be fine (you do, however, need an external disk - 500GB capacity would be my choice so that you can also use it for other things).

I made this nice video tutorial which should really make it easy for you to get started: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

If you have questions, post back.

Posted 3 years ago

celien

Paul, I am still struggling with a problem of my own (got a virus) but I googled for you and found two possible solutions.

One is free: Ignore UAC for specific programs

The other isn't: Exclude Application from UAC

Let us know which one works best for you.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

And more,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 3 years ago

pault42

Thank you all for your help, and especially to you, celien: I tried the free one first and I ended up buying the second one because I needed the support. Problem solved.

Thanks.

Paul

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!