The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

turn factory windows 8 back to windows 7

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by remotehelp
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 3730 times

remotehelp

I have had a couple new laptops with windows 8 factory installed... I can't even get a windows 7 disc to boot.... is there something in the bios thats different
anyone have an answer

Scott

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Are you 100% sure that the boot order is set to boot from DVD first?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Scott hi, you can't install old versions of Windows over newer ones. Do you have a W7 install disk, with a key ?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Suggest yo umake your factory recovery disks before reverting back to Win7. You will have to either format your hdd or wipe it with Dban from here.
http://www.dban.org/
like Fhirkin9 mentioned you need to change your boot order in your BIOS so your optical drive is set as your first boot device.
If I were you suggest "formatting and partitioning with Partition Wizard" so you "Don't Format and Partition using the Windows7 installation disk". This will eliminate that 100mb boot partition which causes problems.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK guys, but make sure he has a key for 7 first please.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

@ Germ-x , so that explains my "mystery partition" problem! (I had to reinstall Win8 OEM after my RAID set-up failed). @ Lighthouse, fully agree the OP must have a Win7 key for each machine and is advised to make recovery media for each machine. ALso, retain the Win8 keys and ISOs in case the future of Win8 changes to a more favorable UI.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

My guess would be that you are dying in the UEFI. Try this approach.

Posted 1 year ago

remotehelp

Yes I have tried setting 1st boot to cd/dvd.... won't boot to factory windows 7 disc... I have formatted and installed o/s on hundreds of computers over the years... I think there is something in bios that blocks from booting to dvd... I even tried to boot to usb...in windows 8 you don't make a restore disc... it requests usb flash drive 32g instead of disc... If any of you have a new pc with factory windows 8 try and boot to a factory windows 7.... 8 is going to be a night mare for most people...

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@remotehelp, I think there is going to be a growing number of people with your problem. As LH. said, do you have W7 disk and key? Also, check germ-x post above did you do that? The post from whs may be an option but, not familiar with it at all.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!