SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) Trying to send my movies via email.

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ScottyM
  • Latest reply from ScottyM
  • Topic Viewed 7238 times

ScottyM

Hi folks, to start,I have a program that I use to back up my movies, I can backup all the ones I buy and actually all the ones I rent too. I have some relatives that don't have easy access rental spots, but they have internet. I was hoping that since my movies (when backed up) are in a folder on my computer that I could send these to them so that they can watch them too and maybe even burn a copy for them selves. The movies are of course I've found out are much too big to compress and send via email. What other options do I have? And also someone mentioned something like this might be illegal! I didn't look at it this way. I'm not doing this for money, i want to do this as a favor, thats all. If this is true, when video stores sell pre-reviewed movies is there a code removed from it so that it shows whether it's a rental or for sale? Does anyone out there have any knowledge on this matter? Because, it would be a lot faster and cheaper to send my movies by computer than copying onto disc and sending in regular mail, which I've done in the past and even had some lost too! Appreciate the help, anxious to hear back, thanks Scotty M.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try,
http://www.crossloop.com/
You can transfer files, but may take a while.

Posted 4 years ago

madjack1987
madjack1987

For sending large files (home movies and such) i use Gbridge. A google email address is required for both parties (or you could share one and a password) and gbridge needs to be installed on both machines. It also has a chat feature and VNC.

Check it out and see if you like it and post back if you have problems.

Edited by mod.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

1. At first I would check the copyright situation. You can potentially get yourself into trouble even if you do copy them for others without money being involved.
2. I use "Vimeo" to upload movies. It is similar to YouTube. There your relatives can watch them on-line.
3. A good program to burn movies so that they can be played on a DVD player is DVD Flick.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottyM

Thanks for the replies fellas, but what about the rest, about the movie codes etc.? Thanks Scotty M.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottyM

Thanks Whs for the reply, I missed your comment while I was writing mine. How do I check the copyright situation? What steps to take? Thanks Scotty M.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

For the copyright you have to look at the movies and see whether anything is specified. Or at the website from where they come. Usually they say something.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottyM

Thanks Whs, I'll see what I can find out, all the movies have at the start of them warnings for any reproduction, maybe it's just safer to put them on disc and mail them, thanks again!

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Just a word of caution. If you downloaded the movies, you may not be able to burn them to DVD. The burn program may refuse that. If you captured them with a screen capture program like e.g. WMCapture, that is a different story.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

ScottyM, hello. If you live in the US, then what you describe is illegal. When I looked up the MPAA's website, pretty much every story on the front page is about piracy! This organization is obsessed. They also have information about what's legal or not. If you are buying or renting movies with an FBI or Interpol warning at the front, then it is not legal to share them with your family in other cities or states. At best it's an unlawful public performance, at worst you are distributing without a license.

Now, if you have a camcorder and shoot your own videos, you own the copyright and can do with them what you wish. In the US, any such works are copyrighted even if you don't take any special steps to register that copyright. Laws vary by country, so if you are not in the US things may be different. However, many countries have treaties that protect each other's copyrighted works so it's likely to be illegal wherever you are.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottyM

Thanks ScottW, sorry for just replying back to you now. I also was told I could just have my own mailbox with a large memory who I could control who has access to. I have contacted by phone one site named "online storage solutions", the gentleman, after explaining my situation, said that it wasn't a problem and that I would have complete privacy with it, that it was just like having another email address. Of course there is a fee of $15 per year. This is an American company, and I am in Canada I also wonder if that makes a difference due to the laws. I have read your links and really non of this sounds legal, am I trying to do something here out of kindness that really could get me in trouble or is using another mailbox as such pretty safe? I'm starting to get discouraged, I thought it was a heck of an idea! What are your thoughts? Thanks Scotty M.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Scotty, it's illegal in Canada, too, as described here by the MPAA. We cannot use this forum to help you break the law.

Just so that you know, while you can have a private mailbox or storage unit in the USA, the provider still has to obey the law and if they are served with a proper warrant (obtained for probable cause of illegal activity), they must turn over the information requested by the warrant.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottyM

Thankyou ScottW, problem is solved. You are absolutely right, and sorry I wasn't trying to find help to break the law, I was just trying to find out exactly how much of the law pertained to me, now it has sunk in! Thanks again, this forum is a wealth of information, I'm so glad I signed up a while back, thanks again, Scotty m.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!