The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Trust This PC

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by secretmechanism
  • Latest reply from secretmechanism
  • Topic Viewed 743 times

secretmechanism

Hi again guys can someone please explain this iv done what i think is right but its not having none of it,i have two email accounts one is Hotmail and the other is Yahoo,Hotmail or Outlook as it is now is my main email addy the Yahoo is for all other,ie password reset both accounts are active and used,iv one message in the action center about this so im probably not doing things right as i seem to be going around in circles,

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Not understanding your question. Could you brake it down in more simple terms? What exactly is the problem?

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Hi Xhi im on a brand new pc with Windows 8 part of the set up is signing into, or creating, a Microsoft account, i use Hotmail so signed in as normal this then gave me access to my mail,it then goes on to request a second email account this they will use to send information for you to reset your password if you should forget it or your account is compromised,the next part involves signing back into your MS account then you have to confirm both addresses and that the pc is a trusted pc, iv got my email running so iv left it at that for the mo as im not sure myself just what it is im supposed to be doing,

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I have Widows 8 on two machines and what you experience is why I use Windows 7 more than I use Windows 8.

Windows 8 can become a "hassle" at times just to do simple things.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

You don't need to setup Windows 8 with a Microsoft account, you can just create a local account as you normally would

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

I didnt have much choice gedstar as i use Hotmail,i hear you rapoenix its got me baffled a few times,and i expect it wont be the first either, iv spent the day learning how to do the most simplest of tasks,has know one else come across Trust This Pc the message in my action center reads,your saved passwords for applications,websites,and networks wont synchronise until you trust this pc,

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Windows 8 gives users the option of having an honest-to-goodness real roaming profile called a Microsoft account that can be easily used from one Windows 8 computer to another. Having a Microsoft account means you can sync your home computer’s settings, look, feel, browser favorites, history, etc. so whether you log-in at home or half a world away, your profile will be there. Pretty neat!

Klein, Matthew; Heddings, Lowell (2012-10-23). The How-To Geek Guide to Windows 8 (Kindle Locations 517-520). How-To Geek. Kindle Edition.

From the Geeks book. This might be why you have to trust this PC.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I set up a Microsoft account with Windows 8. It syncs everything down to my personalizations across my laptop, desktop and my ten year old daughter's desktop. I had to confirm each PC as a Trusted PC. Works pretty well here. As gedstar mentioned you have the option of setting up a local account if you don't want to set up or use a Microsoft account

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

@secretmechanism: When gedstar said you can set up a local acount he was referring to your User account in Windows, not an email account. You have the choice of setting up a local account without the email address, pretty much like you would set up a User account in previous windows versions.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

My Yahoo email prompts me for a 2nd email account in case of lost or a compromised account. I close it because it's just another way you can get more junk mail and another way "Big Brother" is able to keep an eye on you.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Tom
:) :)

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Thank you for the replys guys,@ presence1960 yep i can see what gedstar was talking about now,windows 8 does that to a person lol, iv sort of accidentally set it up, only because i wanted to retrieve my Hotmail account i though this was the only way of doing it,it then prompts you to add a second email this you are led to believe is for password recovery then you get the trust this pc thing, im not great with computers and find myself quite often being drowned in gobbldegook, someone mentioned using two windows pc's and i think trust this pc is for doing that? so i cant trust this pc because thats not what i wanted plus i dont want to link a second pc the only reason i went along with it is because i thought is was a way for Microsoft to sent you a password reset should you forget it or whatever, under each email address is a confirm button so im thinking its to confirm the two addresses that iv given, i think its a case of mistaken identity, should i scrap Microsoft and start again?

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I would create a new user account that is not linked to hotmail (outlook.com or whatever it calls itself). Then you can log-in using a non Microsoft account and compare the Win8 interface that way. You will need to be logged in as a administrator, which, if you only have one user account, will already be an admin: Press the Windows button + C > click on the settings "gear" charm > click PC settings > click Users > Click Add new user and then select a user account which is not bound by a hotmail addy.

Posted 1 year ago

secretmechanism

Thanks Fhirkin9

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!