How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Troubleshooting Vista Wiki Article - Need Thoughts

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2700 times

thegeek
The Geek

I'm creating a page on the wiki that will be a "front page" article that we can use to help people with Windows Vista problems. This page won't contain all the answers, rather will link to other pages that do.

The idea is that this page will help guide the reader towards the right solution. To that end, I've added a number of "high level" sections that I'll quote here for ease of discussion.

1 Problems Booting Vista
2 Internet Connection Problems
3 Blue Screen of Death
4 Driver Problems - Devices not Working
5 Power Management - Hibernation/Sleep Mode
6 Windows Explorer Problems
7 Email Problems
8 Video Games
9 Spyware or Virus Problems
10 Playing Media (Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc)

What I need to know, should I add/remove things from this high level group... and any other thoughts you have. For instance, what are the most frequently asked questions (other than how to remove vista and load XP). Are there certain topics that we should fill in first?

http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/.....dows_Vista

[edit]: I should mention, this page is for troubleshooting... I'm going to create another "portal" page dedicated to tweaking

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

wmp

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm a wimp ? :-(

Ohhh, right... media playing. Good catch.

I'll edit my first post as you guys come up with ideas, and then update the actual page once we get a little more.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The Geek, I like it. One of the things I've been thinking would be good to have in the wiki are diagnostic procedures. So, when someone comes around with a certain problem that we have seen and diagnosed before, we can send them to the wiki. I don't know if that needs a separate category because the procedures can be beneath the existing categories.

Thinking about the question of what are the frequently asked questions, a lot of MS Office questions go unanswered. We have also been getting a lot networking questions, not just "Internet connection" but also home LAN and wi-fi. Maybe #2 could be expanded or split out. Also, I think browser problems deserve a category or part of one. So, maybe (*) Internet / Network / Wi-fi Problems and (*) IE7, Firefox, browser Problems.

For 6 I would add, or substitute, "Windows Desktop, Icons, and Menus" since not everyone knows what "Explorer" is. For 8, we don't get a lot of gaming, but do get the occasional video playback or codec. How about "8. Video & Games"?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, according to the Forum statistics the most popular subject ( and by far) is multibooting. Not that I am a particular fan of that subject, but I would suggest to include it given the vast fan community out there.
A subject that will gain popularity (also in view of the upcoming Windows7) is VM. Maybe we want to bundle the knowledge of Forum experts on that to prepare the world for the future.
Item #9 - I would word this more generic – maybe “Internet Security?. Thus we can also focus on preparatory steps and prevention, and not only on debugging and fixing.
Item #5 may not have enough meat to figure at that level. Maybe it could be grouped under a more general subject of “System Settings?. That then can include anything from Icon sizes on the desktop to monitor settings or mouse settings, etc. – and also power settings
I really don’t care about item #8, but maybe others do.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm thinking of creating a separate page dedicated towards multi-booting issues, that would be separate from this page. I'm also thinking of having a page dedicated to tweaking vista, and one towards tuning vista for performance and security.

This page will be solely dedicated towards fixing problems that already exist. I suspect that this page will be huge by the time we're done.

Good feedback so far.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Late to this party I see, I would like to suggest changing the 9 Spyware or Virus Problems to Computer Security, so there is room to address UAC issues, Windows Defender, Firewalls, etc. as well as spyware and virus issues.

EDIT: I had just skimmed the posts and saw that whs already made this suggestion...as they say, great minds... ;-)

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

we do seem to think the same sometimes don't we

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Budohorseman, it never hurts to expand on a thought. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!