How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Trouble opening files in Office 07

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by mandypinecone
  • Latest reply from mandypinecone
  • Topic Viewed 1620 times

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

When I go to the round Office '07 button (upper left), and hit 'Open', it tries to load the open option but it doesn't. We've tried to repair the installation, we uninstalled and reinstalled too. Running as Admin has no effect either.

This applies to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access. In Outlook, OneNote and Publisher, clicking on File>Open does work.

I would appreciate your help, Amanda

Posted 6 years ago

CPJames19

if u go in2 word etc press ctrl & c, does it wrk now or not?

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

Hitting ctrl + O doesn't work either, but thank you .

Posted 6 years ago

CPJames19

Opps (silli me) ment ctrl o, hmmm...

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Although I observed corrupted office files at times, this is unlikely in your case since a reinstall did not fix the problem. Next best suspect is probably a conflict with some other program you have installed. I would try to operate in safe boot mode, i.e. disable all services (after you hide the MS services) in msconfig and also disable all startups. If it works then, you know there is a conflict. Finding the culprit though is another story.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

Can you open Office documents straight from Windows Explorer?

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

Whs i've booted into safe mode and still had the problem :( Welcome home !
Coates, if i double click on a file I can open it from anywhere except from within the above programs.

thanks guys.

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

After a couple hours on the phone with Microsoft, they where able to fix my problem. There were a couple of corrupted registry entries. Thanks for the help guys. Amanda

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks for telling us. But corrupted registry entries don't come out of the blue. I would check that a little further especially since a reinstallation did not cure them. Could some earlier run of a registry cleaner be the culprit?

Posted 6 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

The Microsoft techs manually deleted many registry entries and folders. Where the corruption came from is anyone's guess.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.