The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Trojan:Win32/Alureon.EP

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by helpmeplz
  • Latest reply from skulldrinker
  • Topic Viewed 889 times

helpmeplz

I have recently returned home and have started reusing my TOSHIBA Satellite Pro laptop running Windows Vista =(. I recently ran 'Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool' and it found "Trojan:Win32/Alureon.EP". I only have AVG basic on my computer and it could not find anything. I am going to Upgrade windows vista to Windows 7. If I do this will any virus or other malicious software still be present and if so how can I full clean my laptop and external hard drives/usb's?

Cheers all

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Just to remind us all AVG is an antivirus program not an anti-trojan program. My hunch is that if the malicious software tool found it it removed it. You could double check with Malwarebytes. You could completely erase your drive before a reload with Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN)

Posted 1 year ago

helpmeplz

I have now run Malwarebytes and it detected nothing but during that process AVG poped up and said it had found 3 other Trojans. I will use Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) but would like to make sure my external hard drives and usb are clean before I format them and put all my data on them. I have auto-run turned off. I have read about a program called 'Flash Disinfector' - is this a good program to clean my usbs and hard drives?

cheers

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

Are you familiar with ComboFix? I'd run that before wiping the disk, unless that's what you want to do. Also you might want to consider getting rid of AVG and checking out Microsoft Security Essentials. I've only have one encouter with Alureon and it seemed pretty nasty but I ran ComboFix and removed it entirely.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....e-combofix Read this if you are not familiar with Combofix.

Posted 1 year ago

helpmeplz

Have run Combofix but how do I know if my computer is clean?

also is Flash Disinfector a good program to clean my usb's and hard drives or are there any better recommendations?

cheers for the help all

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@ helpmeplz ,

It depends where you download it from but be warned your AV may flag it as a threat because of the way it works, also it may leave a hidden file on your USB stick this is purely to protect the device (kind of an 'active file').

Posted 1 year ago

cas34
cas34

Unless you know what you are doing stay well clear of combofix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....73628.html

I would suggest trying Tdsskiller, Hitman pro and superantispyware. From my experience I suggest only having 1 anti-virus running on your PC (Avast is a good choice but there are loads of others). I also suggest having a number of malware programmes on your PC as I have not found 1 programme that finds everything and you usually have to do a number of scans.

If you want to know 100% that there are no infections on your PC then you can register at Bleeping Computer and post your problem on their forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....rum22.html

Before posting you should read the sticky threads so you know what to post. These guys are dedicated solely to malware removal. The only downside is it can take a few days to get a response as they are very busy.

Posted 1 year ago

skulldrinker
skulldrinker

Best to run AVG at boot with an AVG Rescue disk and be online so it will download and use the must current virus data file. It will find Trojans.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Wipe your disk and start again then learn to image your Windows installation so you don't have to repeat this rigmarole again...recovery will take half an hour instead of days with a fresh clean Windows image at your disposal.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

skulldrinker, I think you have to do a bit of research before posting here.
AVG is pure rubbish nowadays in all forms
@helpmeplz
Run this, free version:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

But a clean install is the best way if all else fails

Posted 1 year ago

skulldrinker
skulldrinker

Just save a laptop the other day with the rescue disk. Found the FakeAlert trojan. Was able to boot up normally again but damage was done and still had to reinstall. But just let me add that AVG is not the only defense in my bag of tricks. I still use it on occasion...not the program just the rescue disk. Personally I stop using AVG a couple of years ago in favor of MSE.

PS I know all the FREE programs you will suggest. I have been repairing these for quite some time.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.