SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - TRIMcheck: Does Your SSD Really have TRIM Working?

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1611 times

raphoenix

The Full Story and Checker Download.
http://thessdreview.com/daily-.....m-working/

Mine in a Raid 0 Array is NOT Working !

Please Post a Comment as to if Your Trim is Working or Not.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Windows SSD

Extra SSD

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Two computers with SSD. One checked the other did not.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

I'm getting a message that disk space is too low running in Windows 8 on Vertex 4 Raid 0 Array !

Running Windows 7 on the Curial M4 Raid 0 Array, getting message that Trim is NOT Working !

Will switch to another machine and see what happens.

I would hate to have to Image and Reset SSDs Arrays on all machines tonight. <ARGGGG>

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I did not know that about SSD's. Glad that I do now. That'll be helpful for when I can get one.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Crystal Mark and the FSUTIL command both say mine is enabled. However the app says no?

That said, my Corsair I think actually 'acts funny'. I've no confirmation of this other than it boots FAST 95% of the time and other times the booting IS slow. This has been going on since it was new. I contacted Corsair via an on-line forum and 'we' discussed what was happening. I had back-level flash. Had to flash the latest. This was 18 months ago I think? Anyway the 'pauses' on boot lessened quite a bit and I never gave it much thought after that. With W8 it is more apparent now. Dell BIOS screen zips by and then the Windows 'box/panes' show. Most of the times IMMEDIATELY followed by the 'twirling' dots. Then a picture of me and almost immediately the Start Screen opens. However, sometimes those twirling dots do not appear immediately. Sometimes the delay is longer that other times. Once they do appear a few times I get another screen between those dots and my picture, but it goes by so fast I can't tell what it was?

OK, so what does THIS have to do with anything? I think those delays are due to TRIM being done? I do NOT see DISK ACTIVITY and of course you can hear heads move. Is it possible that TRIM is not done immediately or on every boot, but for performance reasons when there is enough to do? I would imagine EACH vendor handles it differently. My wife computer with a Crucial does NOT exhibit the delay my computer does at times?

NOTE that it also states "Sometimes, a reboot is necessary." so maybe that is when some drives do the TRIM?

Irv S.

EDIT: Just Rebooted, still says TRIM not enabled, there was NO delay with the circling dots either.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks for posting that, Rick. I have my parts on order so I copied the article to a Word doc to use later when I'm trying to get things up and running.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Crucial M4s are suppose to support Raid Arrays.

Not sure about Vertex 4s.

The solution is pretty simple if SSDs are not trimming.

1. Image the SSDs Array.
2. Reset the SSDs Array Back to Factory Condition.
3. Apply Image back unto the SSDs Array.

This is all accomplished by using USB Boot Tools which one has made however it does take time even if your tools are pre-made before hand.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Rick, Trim does not work in Raid - as far as I know. Raid0 for SSDs is pretty useless anyhow.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Rick, READ the FORUM link, 6 pages worth. Too many people saying it isn't supported (TRIM) is the report they got... also some needed to re-boot, others had to run the W8 disk Optimize and it then worked. I don't know, but if TRIM wasn't working, you'd probably know about it due to lost freespace?

I really thing when and how TRIM is performed is up to the vendor's firmware. I doubt they are all the same?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@whs, you are wrong.

http://www.futuremark.com/hard.....ssd_review

With SSDs in Raid 0 Array, Bench marks almost double as you have seen by my posted graphics.

@Irv, I think you are correct.

I run latest IATA driver for Intel products so has to be a SSD manufacturer thing.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Yeah, transfer times and performance tests are better. But what does that mean in real life..It cannot be better than 'immediate' - and that's what a single SSD does (at least in my systems).

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Rick, wanted to 'check' with Corsair to see if they'd 'enlighten' me on how Trim works. Opened a question in their forum, --> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/sh.....p?t=115816. We'll see what they say?

They DO have a LINK for TRIM ==> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=84677, it is a FAQ... interesting stuff...

From it :

============
How does TRIM work?

TRIM actively deletes invalid data from the SSD’s memory cells to ensure that write operations perform consistently at full speed. Invalid data is defined as data that has been deleted by the user/host OS, but which remains physically stored on the memory cell until it is overwritten. Since a memory block must be erased before it can be re-programmed, TRIM improves performance by pro-actively erasing data blocks containing invalid data, thereby allowing the SSD to write new data to the memory without first having to perform a time-consuming erase command.
============

Now reading that, the program shouldn't work if I understand it correctly. The file it writes need to be read, trimcheck-cont.json. However, unless it was deleted, TRIM wouldn't do anything according to the above? At least that is what I think it does? However it cllaims it works like this :

=============
The program will set up a test by creating and deleting a file with unique contents, then (on the second run) checks if the data is still accessible at the file's previous location.
=============

Hmm, that file is always there though, maybe it does it with something else?

Hmm, just ran it again, got a DIFFERENT answer, *INDETERMINATE*? It said maybe another program wrote data there?

Oh, another point for you on the TRIM FAQ page,

============
How do I enable support for TRIM?

For TRIM to function the operating system, storage drivers and solid-state drive must all support the TRIM command. Currently, only Microsoft Windows 7 operating systems support the TRIM command and only when the default Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI) from Microsoft is used.
As such, TRIM is only supported in single-drive configurations, since current RAID storage drivers do not pass on the TRIM command from the operating system.
===========

Is it due to the flash on older SSD's that it doesn't work on RAID? Don't know the date of the FAQ though?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

@whs,

No one force you to use Raid, I use it because Most Folks who run SSDs DO for More Immediate !! :)

@Irv,

Advertisements for Crucial M4s use to say Raid Compliant back last summer.

Am looking for old ad pages.

EDIT:
I think Crucial had to remove Raid Compliant because Intel made an error concerning Trim Support in their chipset documentation from what I can tell with all the dis-jointed trim information on the net.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Two Crucial M4s in Raid 0 Array

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Intel does have driver for trim in Raid but only in selected Intel mother boards. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/h.....for-raid/1
Click on Intel (web) for downloads and mother boards

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Two Vertex 4s in Raid 0 Array

Both Pictures Above Captured from ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Mother Board O/C to 4.7

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.