How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - trifling around with icons

(59 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from nerdnan
  • Topic Viewed 29540 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

I just downloaded the new version of WinBubble and noticed all the options for changing the default icons.
Well, I've already changed most myself (only use Winbubble for my screensaver actually, but I was curious to see if the new version had new features), but there was one missing that I still would like to change, but I don't know how to get to it.
It's the one for shared folders (mijn gedeelde mappen):

I've replaced just about everything with nice green glass folders and i would much prefer it if I could get it to look like this:

Now how do I go about this one?

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Forget I asked - I already found it.
Just searched in the registry for 'mijn gedeelde mappen' and yep, it came up with a subkey called 'defaulticon'. How simple can life be;-)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

The result:

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Geek - you're fast as lightning!!!

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

Hey sarah i've been thinking about doing that too. so i ran the same search but didn't come up with the default icon subkey...

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Some more choices,
http://browse.deviantart.com/?.....ve%20icons

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ PalmTrees - does this help you, it's a notepad view of the default registrykey I exported (for safety;-D)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}]
@="Mijn Gedeelde mappen"
"InfoTip"="Bevat bestanden die jij met je contactpersonen deelt en bestanden die je contactpersonen met jou delen."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Live\\Messenger\\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll,-205"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Live\\Messenger\\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
"LoadWithoutCOM"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:f0000000
"WantsFORPARSING"=""

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I replaced this last bit with my own;-)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Live\\Messenger\\fsshext.8.5.1302.1018.dll,-205"

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Scott - there are some beautiful icons to be found.
Unfortunately my edited versions of the green folder are an infringement on microsoft copyright, so I may make them and use them myself, but I'm not allowed to share them by means of a download on the internet:(

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

@ Sarah... thanks i did manage to find the right entry. but when i set it to the new path/file it just showed the windows default "new/emty folder icon". do i need to make a .dll file outof the .ico? if so how would i accomplish that?

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

nvm it was just a bad file path. lol... i guess i should have used spellcheck ;)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ PalmTrees - glad you found it:)
And if you want to make an iconlibrary you can use IconFx http://icofx.ro/ to make icons, edit icons in programs (be careful with that one - not all apps take kindly to it) or export to icl file. Rename the icl extension to dll and your done. (Or just use icl, that's what I do).

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

@ Sarah - Thanks for all your help.
yeah i downloaded IconFx this morning before i went to sleep. i haven't figured out all of the features yet. but it helped in creating the live folder look, now all my folders are the green-glass of Vista, and still has the contents preview.

- how did you post those screen shots on here? I tried but i'm not sure what happened to the pic... it must have fallen through the void:)

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Everyone seems happy so....
.....As much as I love "triffling"...I do prefer "trifling"
(especially with port).
Sorry about that SarahJames :)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks, Lighthouse, learned something again:)
I can't change it - can you do that?

@ PalmTrees - now you may enlighten me: how do you get the folders to be the green-glass of Vista with contents preview????? I'd love to have that too!

For screenshots I use PhotoBucket http://photobucket.com/
because they give the codes right underneath your image - sóóó easy:)

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I will ask my other brain as soon as it comes in from being walked by my dog :)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I'm not gonna ask what on earth you were talking about, Lighthouse ..... LOL

Any idea btw why my pics in the first post disappear? Happened twice already. I think when you posted something, Lighthouse, (change to my text on top?) and when the Geek added 'solved'.
The other pics weren't affected.

Being impatient as I am, I started looking for what PalmTrees will surely add later on:)
And I came across this, when you want to decide yourself what the preview inside the folder should look like (apart from the start way by means of properties> choose file that represents contents etc.)

"Copy an image in .JPG or .GIF format that user want to use as folder picture into the folder itself.
Rename the picture file name to Folder. For example, Picture1.jpg should be renamed to Folder.jpg and Picture1.gif should be renamed to Folder.gif.
Optionally, set the folder picture file (Folder.img) with hidden attribute to prevent it from displaying when listing folder’s contents.
To revert and restore the original Windows Vista automatic assigned folder pictures, just delete the Folder.img file.
Note that for alternative method, .BMP and .PNG image formats is not supported."

Works very well, so now I'm even more eager for PalmTrees' input;-D

Here's the link btw
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....-explorer/

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That's odd. I didn't touch anything in the text box. Why editing the Title box should delete/alter the link I do not know. I will try it on one of my topics, to see what happens.
Actually, I did both those edits.

Edit, I have tried it on a test topic. And that behaved itself. Maybe The Geek can shed some light on this?

I think the "SarahJames Phenomenon", has spread from her computer, to her posts :)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Should have known you edited both posts - fast as lightning, that's Lighthouse allright.
And what are you blaming me for? This whole forum exists by the grace of computerproblems - what's different about mine???
(And don't worry, I can take it:D)

Btw - might it be because we were editing this post at the same time?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Possibly. But unlikely, given that it happened twice.
Obviously I've done lots and lots of edits on the forum (with no problems). This, 'tho, is the first one I've done with a screenshot in it. Maybe the editing system works differently for that. I will ask The Geek later.
I wasn't blaming you. Just pulling your leg :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!