(Solved) - trifling around with icons

(59 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from nerdnan
  • Topic Viewed 29540 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Lighthouse - always happy to help:)

@ PalmTrees - I don't use Iconpackager, so I just changed the imageres.dll and replaced it.
Didn't need to go into safemode for that, but did a restart just to be sure everything changed ok.
Now a lot of folder do have the green glass look! Great!

But weird enough not all. I don't understand why.
In Program Files non of the icons changed, but that's ok with me.
In Windows, some of the icons changed, but not all.
Some with contents, some without - so the principle works fine:

Now how do I get all to appear as wanted???
Is there another dll that also handles front and back view of folders?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

SarahJames. You might want to start looking at programs like Icon Extract and Resource Hacker, to find more info.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

It has to do with a refresh I guess, because any new folder I make does it allright.
So I deleted the iconcache file and I'll see what happens on the next restart, but for now I've got to run. Been playing around for way too long!
(but it is fun fun fun!)

And PalmTrees: thanks for all this fun!

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

The refresh helped some, but not all. So I ran Disk Cleanup to remove thumbnails and that did the trick.
(Only leaves me to remove those pesky PI fonts again on the next restart ... LOL)

Wow - this looks so great!!!
OK, now it is for certain - Vista has won over my heart. I am CONTENT!

Silly thing is, I did this the PalmTrees-trick all the time on my old Win98. I had the most beautiful Win98 ever to be found, because just about every icon had been changed (and I cleaned it up to perfection;-D). Using Reshack and an iconeditor I modified most systemfiles. I just never thought of doing that in Vista, because of all it's safety measures etc.
Didn't want to upset Lighthouse and others, that start telling me again to leave well alone when it works allright ... LOL

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LOL. would I say that? :)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Final view - even in Program Files it works perfectly!

Jolly!

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I can't mark you "Solved" twice :) (well I could. but you know what happens) :)

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

@SarahJames
what program did you use to change the imageres.dll file? I look all over the net for one (freeware) but everyone that i tried had to be bought to use the tools i needed. BTW thanks for the disc cleanup tip, works great now:)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

IcoFx - here is a tutorial to how: http://icofx.ro/tutorials/tutorial5.html
I just copied imageres.dll to my documents, opened IcoFX, clicked resource editor

Opened imageres.dll

Righclicked on the icon I wanted to change:

That results in this:

Click close (there is no save ...):

Because that follows next:

And then it says:

Repeat till you're done:)

(And why did I post a link to a tutorial .... LOL)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Where did you find a nice icon for a folder with subfolders? Because I made my own. (See screenshot above of Program Files). Let's see if I can post png files here - if you haven't got one you can use mine, just rightclick and save:)

Edit: Replaced with improved version:)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Yep, png works:)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

And one more thing. About replacing imageres.dll: first rename the old one to imageres old.dll or someting and then paste the new version in your system32 folder (that's where mine is anyway) and you don't need a restart or anything. If you want to use copy over the original file Vista starts screaming about not having the rights to do so etc.

I did use takeown on imageres.dll before starting all this -
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

Well...this is very depressing...lol not realy;)
i've had IcoFx for a while but i didn't know you could change out the icons like that. I spent hours and hours looking for what i already had...:P
Here is the icon the i'm useing for the folder with subfolders. its .png also

Posted 5 years ago

Cleaner007

Does anybody know about the program called Clone Remover? I've heard it' the best utility for duplicate file remval. How d'you think?

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Cleaner007. Do you mean in relation to what we were discussing here?
After a restart you can remove the renamed old imageres.dll without any trouble.

If you mean in general I think it is wise to start a new topic for it, so you'll get more response.
I myself am not very fond of duplicate file removers. The registry often has entries to the same file on different places and if you remove the duplicates you can get pretty weird results.

Posted 5 years ago

Cleaner007

Posted 5 years ago

nerdnan
nerdnan

thanks heaps sarah james for these icon ideas,i too love to tinker with appearance of things,plain to me is boring...

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Thanks, Nerdnan:)

Posted 5 years ago

nerdnan
nerdnan

hi sarah james,after reading your post,i couldn`t help myself,i downloaded iconfx & what a brilliant program,i have made icons of my children from image files,they look fantastic,a lot less boring,even did one of my dog,my desktop is family orientated,thank you so much,much appreciated ......

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!