How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Start Menu

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 2117 times

ScottW
ScottW

I tried to create a new page in the wiki, a stub for "Start Menu". I could swear I hit save changes, but I don't see the page. Did I do something wrong? Is it awaiting editorial approval? Next time I want to try this, what should I do differently? Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Oops, didn't see this thread before creating the other one.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Pasting this in from the other thread:

Hey... I moved the page you were working on, I think you accidentally added the content into the help page instead of a new page.

Here's the new page:
http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Start_Menu

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

No problem, threads can be merged. The way I made the page was first I searched for "Start Menu". It says "there is no such page you can create it". So, I clicked on "create it" not knowing where it would end up. That was another question I was going to ask: how can I get a page I create to show up in a certain part of the wiki? For example, I'm thinking I would have put "Start Menu" in the Windows Components category, but I don't know how to do that. Thanks for your help.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I need to write some better help files for the wiki, but here's a brief overview:

Creating new pages:
==========================
You can create new pages by searching for them and then clicking on Create.

Tagging Pages to a Category:
==========================
You can put a page into a category by tagging it, which will make it show up in the list. Just add in the category at the bottom of the post like this:

[[Category:Windows Vista]]

or

[[Category:Windows Components]]

If you have questions, you should check out the source of this page:
http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Task_Manager

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Good work, looks like you figured it out :-)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Actually, I was using the Task_Manager page as a template. Still, I couldn't get my Start_Menu page as neat. It seems that some of the wikicodes get absorbed into links and such so you can't see what was originally typed. For example, the code "[[Category: Windows Components]]" doesn't show up when editing the Task_Manager page, instead there is a hotlink.

Anyway, it's up now and the primary reason I wanted it there was to save off those instructions for removing apps from the MFU list. Thanks for copying that in, by the way. I put a screen shot in, but typed the name wrong the first time. Must remember to always add the extension (.png, .jpg, etc.) Now the broken image link still shows up in the final page but, again, there is no code for it when I edit.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@ScottW

Just noticed you've got more changes in progress... I like the layout of the article now. Good work!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!